Che Guevara’s hunter says he looked more like a beggar than a legendNovember 14th, 2007 - 1:52 am ICT by admin
Revealing the rather realistic portrait of Guevara, 67-year-old Rodriguez was quoted by the Daily Mail as saying that “Most people don’t know the real Guevara.”
He revealed that CIA chiefs wanted their man alive for interrogation, but were overruled by the Bolivian authorities.
Guevara, who helped Fidel Castro win power in 1959 then oversaw the trial and execution of hundreds of “war criminals” from the previous regime, had been in Bolivia in a bid to spread the revolution.
He and his 50 fighters were trapped on October 8 1967 after a tip-off from a farmer.
As 200 American-led troops closed in, Guevara shouted: “Don’t shoot. I’m Che Guevara - I’m worth more to you alive than dead.”
The 39-year-old had been wounded in the right leg and was suffering from chronic asthma.
Rodriguez said: “This man looked more like a beggar. His uniform was in rags. He didn’t have a pair of boots, just pieces of leather wrapped round his shoes. I felt sorry for him as a human being.”
Guevara was locked in the school at a nearby village while Rodriguez waited for orders from Bolivian president Rene Barrientos.
It was his job to tell the hero of the Cuban Revolution that he was to be shot without trial.
Rodriguez recalled: “Che turned white… before saying: ‘It’s better this way, I should have died in combat’.”
A simple code had been arranged - 500 meant Che Guevara, 600 meant dead, 700 alive.
When the command came the following morning, on the village’s only phone, it was 500 - 600.
Guevara was killed with a burst of machine-gun fire, to look like a combat death.
It was carefully aimed away from his face so that there would be no doubt of his identity if Castro denied he was dead.
But Castro did not deny it, said Mr Rodriguez. “Instead, he built the Che Guevara legend.”
Last night the legend was still going strong in Cuba where a 10,000 crowd paid tribute at a monument to Che. (ANI)
- New `Che' comic inspired by his most famous portrait - Apr 18, 2012
- Che Guevara's motorcycle companion dead - Mar 06, 2011
- Capturing Castro, Che and Cuba on lens - Dec 22, 2010
- Floridian Auto Race Eliminates Its Promotional Illustration Of Che Guevara After Public Hullabaloo - Sep 09, 2010
- Fidel Castro Feels Misinterpreted For Comment On Cuban Economy - Sep 12, 2010
- Twitter fuels Fidel Castro death rumor - Jan 05, 2012
- Krishna to visit Cuba to further ties - Jun 12, 2012
- Che visit recalled to mark India-Cuba ties - Feb 12, 2010
- Anthropologists claim discovery of slain Che Guevara soldiers in Bolivia - Aug 22, 2009
- Fidel Castro: I was misinterpreted - Sep 12, 2010
- Fidel Castro turns 85 - Aug 14, 2011
- WHO praises Cuba's health care system - Mar 28, 2012
- Cuban makes statues using tobacco leaves - Feb 06, 2012
- Socialism can't resolve all ills: Fidel Castro (Lead) - Feb 05, 2012
- Fidel Castro slams 'assassination' of unarmed bin Laden - May 06, 2011
Tags: beggar, bolivian president, che guevara, chronic asthma, cia chiefs, cia spy, combat death, cuban revolution, felix rodriguez, fidel castro, hero, machine gun fire, mail, nearby village, no doubt, president rene, realistic portrait, rene barrientos