Chavez warns US after receiving Russian warplanesAugust 4th, 2008 - 8:54 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Aug 4 (RIA Novosti) Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez has announced the receipt of 24 Russian Sukhoi fighter jets and warned the US that his country is ready to defend itself. “We’ve received the 24 Sukhoi aircraft,” he said Sunday. “They’re for defensive purposes. We’re not going to attack anybody.”
The jets are part of a recent $4 billion deal with Moscow. Russia will also provide Sukhoi missiles to the Andean nation.
Chavez said the Sukhoi missiles have far greater range than those of the US F-16 fighter jet, and warned the US Fourth Fleet to keep out of Venezuelan waters.
“Any ship that sails into brown waters (river waters) will itself turn brown and go to the bottom, because they’ll not get through,” he said.
In 2005-2006, Venezuela signed a deal to buy more than 50 combat helicopters, 24 Su-30 MK2 fighters, 12 Tor-M1 air defence missile systems and 100,000 AK-103 rifles from Russia.
Chavez, an outspoken critic of Washington since coming to power nine years ago, has focused his foreign policy on bolstering ties with countries outside the US sphere of influence.
- Sukhoi to remain top combat aircraft seller till 2015 - Feb 25, 2012
- Russia to showcase its best combat aircraft in Dubai - Nov 12, 2011
- 35 Russian companies at Aero India 2011 - Feb 08, 2011
- Indonesia says 'no, thanks' to Russia's Sukhoi jets - Aug 09, 2012
- Chavez attacks Hillary for 'threatening' Russia, China - Jul 10, 2012
- Russia to increase number of fighters in test flights - Feb 13, 2012
- Chavez sees US hand in Russia protests - Dec 29, 2011
- Malaysia plans to buy 18 more Russian fighter jets - Nov 15, 2011
- Russia to buy 92 Su-34 fighters - Mar 01, 2012
- New stealth fighter jet for Russia, India - Aug 16, 2011
- Russia close to signing Su-35 fighter deal with China - Mar 06, 2012
- Venezuela president apologises for his mistakes - Feb 03, 2011
- Cancer-hit Chavez to leave Cuba next week - Mar 09, 2012
- Russia's MiG starts new batch of fighters for Indian Navy - Aug 04, 2011
- Venezuela to deploy tanks on Colombia border - Jan 11, 2010
Tags: air defence, ak 103, andean nation, combat helicopters, defensive purposes, fighter jet, hugo chavez, missile systems, moscow russia, outspoken critic, president hugo chavez, ria novosti, river waters, russian warplanes, sphere of influence, sukhoi aircraft, sukhoi fighter jets, venezuelan president hugo, venezuelan president hugo chavez, waters river