Chavez to return to Venezuela this weekApril 24th, 2012 - 11:59 am ICT by IANS
Caracas, April 24 (IANS/EFE) Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez spoke Monday on state television for the first time since he went to Cuba for cancer treatment nine days ago and said he will be back in Caracas later this week.
“I’ll tell you something, I ought to be there in Caracas, God willing, on the 26th even though the authorization that the sovereign National Assembly gave me established no time limit,” the president said by telephone.
Chavez said he will be in Caracas through Saturday, “then comes another session of radiation therapy - I have to continue the treatment and have some additional tests”.
As for stories that circulated Sunday on social networks about a rumoured decline in his health and even his possible death, Chavez said “To stupid words, deaf ears”.
“Unfortunately it seems we’ll have to get used to being bombarded with rumours, above all in the coming months, because that’s what psy-ops laboratories do, dirty war laboratories that work day and night in different parts of this hemisphere and naturally in Caracas,” he said.
The leftist president went on the offensive against the opposition and said that this “is the strategy of the bourgeoisie, of the Venezuelan right”.
“I’m in radiation therapy, comrades, ask anyone what radiation for four or five weeks is like, and in addition there’s my usual work that I have to permanently,” he said.
“Some would want me to do the 100-meter dash or go out tomorrow and pitch a game of baseball…we’ll be doing that again but not now, not now, let me get better,” he said, adding that he is “pretty far along” with his radiation therapy.
The Venezuelan leader underwent surgery Feb 26 in Havana for the recurrence of the tumour that was removed in June 2011 - also in Cuba.
Chavez said the tumour was in the pelvic region, but did not reveal the precise location. He underwent several rounds of chemotherapy after the initial surgery before announcing in October that he was cancer-free.
He has vowed not to abandon his bid to win another term in Venezuela’s Oct 7 presidential election.
In power since 1999, Chavez now faces a race against the governor of the central state of Miranda, Henrique Capriles, the consensus candidate of Venezuela’s long-divided opposition.
- Chavez says his progress is favourable - Mar 13, 2012
- Chavez returns to Cuba for cancer treatment - Apr 09, 2012
- Cancer once made Chavez consider leaving politics - Sep 05, 2012
- Chavez vows to come back stronger after surgery - Feb 25, 2012
- Chavez heads back to Venezuela - Mar 17, 2012
- Chavez to travel to Cuba for surgery - Feb 24, 2012
- Chavez takes to Twitter after surgery - Mar 02, 2012
- Venezuela's Chavez back in the public eye - May 24, 2012
- Chavez denies getting medical checkup in Brazil - Aug 03, 2012
- Chavez in Cuba for another round of cancer treatment - Apr 16, 2012
- Chavez says chemotherapy will make him bald like Yul Brynner - Jul 29, 2011
- Chavez back in Cuba for cancer treatment - Mar 26, 2012
- Chavez says he forgives those who desired his death - Apr 25, 2012
- Chavez in good physical condition after operation: Venezuela - Feb 29, 2012
- Chavez in 'good health' after treatment - Jun 10, 2012
Tags: cancer treatment, comrades, deaf ears, dirty war, efe, hugo chavez, initial surgery, meter dash, national assembly, nine days, pelvic region, precise location, president hugo chavez, radiation therapy, social networks, state television, stupid words, tumour, venezuelan president hugo, venezuelan president hugo chavez