Chavez speaks of ‘good start’ in ties with ObamaApril 19th, 2009 - 5:24 am ICT by IANS
Port of Spain, April 19 (DPA) The first meeting between US President Barack Obama and Hugo Chavez was a “good start”, the Venezuelan president said Saturday.
“We have started to talk with Obama, and in itself that is a start, a good start. I believe we have started with positive steps,” Chavez told reporters at the Summit of the Americas underway in Trinidad and Tobago.
“It is time we have the true start of a new history, that there is a balance, that domination mechanisms end,” Chavez said.
The outspoken Venezuelan used a much less aggressive tone than that of recent days. “I have no doubt that a greater rapprochement will follow.”
Chavez went on the offensive in the run-up to the summit and said earlier this week that he would reject its final declaration.
However, during his stay in the capital of Trinidad and Tobago, he shared a few friendly moments with Obama.
Chavez even gave the US president a copy of the essay Las venas abiertas de America Latina (The Open Veins of Latin America), a classic by Uruguayan Eduardo Galeano, in the hope that Obama would “learn” about the region.
With two broad grins on their faces, the two presidents greeted each other with a traditional “solidarity” handshake Friday.
The gesture melted eight years of frost between the two countries - a time span when Chavez taunted former president George W. Bush as the personification of evil.
- Obama, Chavez shake hands in Trinidad - Apr 18, 2009
- South American presidents hail dialogue with Obama - Apr 19, 2009
- 'Reader' Obama terms Chavez book gift as 'a nice gesture' - Apr 20, 2009
- Chavez's gift to Obama becomes bestseller overnight - Apr 19, 2009
- Chavez not to attend Americas summit - Apr 15, 2012
- Venezuela's Chavez hands over book to Obama with `warm regards' - Apr 19, 2009
- Chavez in Cuba for another round of cancer treatment - Apr 16, 2012
- Clinton defends moving closer to Chavez - Apr 23, 2009
- Venezuela's Chavez back in the public eye - May 24, 2012
- Chavez threatens to veto final declaration of OAS summit - Apr 17, 2009
- Summit of the Americas opens in Trinidad and Tobago - Apr 18, 2009
- Chavez not the first to discover book that he gave to Obama - Apr 25, 2009
- Venezuela will not let in designated US envoy - Sep 18, 2010
- Venezuela president apologises for his mistakes - Feb 03, 2011
- Chavez considers restoring diplomatic ties with US (Lead) - Apr 19, 2009
Tags: barack obama, capital of trinidad and tobago, eduardo galeano, first meeting, former president, george w bush, handshake, hugo chavez, las venas, new history, no doubt, open veins of latin america, personification, port of spain, president george w bush, rapprochement, summit of the americas, time span, venas abiertas de america, venezuelan president