Chavez says he wants to be Obama’s friendApril 18th, 2009 - 12:12 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Apr.18 (ANI): Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez has said that he would like to be good friends with US President Barack Obama, suggesting possibilities of an eminent thaw in hostile relations between the two countries.
According to Fox News, Chavez said: “I’d like to be your friend,” while Obama reportedly expressed his thanks, though this couldn’t immediately be confirmed.
Photos released by the Venezuelan government show Obama clasping Chavez’s hand and smiling broadly.
A senior White House official said the encounter came before the summit’s opening ceremonies during a meeting with the heads of state. Obama talked to many of the 25 or so leaders who were there at the time. At one point, he walked across the room and introduced himself to Chavez.
Chavez, the leftist Venezuelan president, has been an outspoken critic of the United States, and in particular former President George W. Bush, whom Chavez notoriously once called the “diablo,” or devil. (ANI)
- Cancer once made Chavez consider leaving politics - Sep 05, 2012
- Chavez not to attend Americas summit - Apr 15, 2012
- Chavez speaks of 'good start' in ties with Obama - Apr 19, 2009
- Venezuela president apologises for his mistakes - Feb 03, 2011
- Chavez back in Cuba for cancer treatment - Mar 26, 2012
- Cancer-hit Chavez to leave Cuba next week - Mar 09, 2012
- Chavez denies getting medical checkup in Brazil - Aug 03, 2012
- Chavez back in Cuba for more surgery - Feb 26, 2012
- Shakira sends autographed guitar to Venezuelan president - May 16, 2011
- Venezuela sends envoy back to Colombia - Aug 08, 2009
- I'm soaring like condor after surgery: Chavez - Mar 01, 2012
- Chavez - 10 years in power as an international maverick - Jan 31, 2009
- Venezuela's Chavez hands over book to Obama with `warm regards' - Apr 19, 2009
- Chavez says his progress is favourable - Mar 13, 2012
- Capitalism may have killed life on Mars, says Hugo Chavez - Mar 23, 2011
Tags: barack obama, devil, diablo, encounter, former president, fox news, george w bush, good friends, hugo chavez, opening ceremonies, outspoken critic, possibilities, president george w bush, president hugo chavez, summit, thaw, venezuelan government, venezuelan president hugo, venezuelan president hugo chavez, white house