Chavez attacks Hillary for ‘threatening’ Russia, ChinaJuly 10th, 2012 - 3:14 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, July 10 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez has criticised US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton who he claimed threatened Russia and China while speaking at a Friends of Syria conference.
“We saw overt threats to Russia and China. (Clinton said)… they will have to pay a high price if they do not do what other countries demand. Do you understand? Obviously, this is the downright madness of those who consider selves rulers of the world,” Spanish-language TV network Univision quoted Chavez as saying Monday at a press conference in Caracas.
He urged Clinton to instead look into the problems of the American people.
“There are enough problems in the US, but they (the US authorities) want to do (in Syria) what they did in Libya,” Chavez said.
Foreign military troops killed thousands in Libya to kill Gaddafi, Chavez continued.
“And now they want to do the same in Syria and threaten Iran,” he said.
The Venezuelan president said Cuban Leader Fidel Castro has already warned him that “there is a serious threat of nuclear war”.
Clinton criticised Russia and China last week for blocking efforts to topple Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.
She said Russia and China need to understand that there is a price to be paid for “blockading” the Syrian peace process.
“I ask you to reach out to Russia and China and not only ask but demand that they get off the sidelines. I don’t think Russia and China believe they are paying any price at all, nothing at all, for standing with the Assad regime,” the US secretary of state was quoted as saying.
- Russia, China must pay for supporting Assad: Clinton - Jul 06, 2012
- Syria should resolve crisis on its own: Chavez - Aug 02, 2012
- US 'disgusted' by Russia, China veto on Syria resolution - Feb 05, 2012
- Russia slams West over Syria allegations - Jul 20, 2012
- Clinton warns Russia over Syria policy - Jun 14, 2012
- Russia urges Syria to call off troops - Apr 03, 2012
- No Russian asylum for Syrian president: Minister - Mar 21, 2012
- Russia defends decision on Syria resolution - Feb 07, 2012
- Venezuelan president wants Carter to join Libya mission - Mar 05, 2011
- Clinton hopes Russia, China will change stance on Syria - Feb 25, 2012
- Syrian minister joins opposition - Mar 09, 2012
- Russia hits out at West's 'chilling' stance on Syria - Jul 25, 2012
- Czech Republic buys armoured car for ambassador in Syria - Aug 04, 2012
- Syrian Christians fear Islamist rule if Assad goes - May 15, 2012
- Russia, China veto West's UN draft resolution on Syria (Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
Tags: bashar al assad, cuban leader fidel, cuban leader fidel castro, fidel castro, gaddafi, hillary clinton, hugo chavez, military troops, nuclear war, peace process, president bashar, president hugo chavez, ria novosti, spanish language tv, syrian peace, syrian president bashar al, univision, us secretary of state, venezuelan president hugo, venezuelan president hugo chavez