Chavez and Spanish king shake hands to normalize tiesJuly 25th, 2008 - 7:23 pm ICT by IANS
Palma de Majorca (Spain), July 25 (DPA) Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez and Spain’s King Juan Carlos shook hands and chatted relaxedly Friday in a sign that relations had returned to normal eight months after the monarch told Chavez to shut up. Juan Carlos received Chavez at the Marivent palace in Palma, capital of the holiday island of Majorca, thanking him for coming.
“Why don’t we go to the beach?” Chavez asked after commenting on how hot it was on the island.
The meeting marked a final reconciliation between Spain and Venezuela after relations cooled following an unusual diplomatic incident at an Ibero-American summit in Chile in November.
Chavez called former Spanish prime minister Jose Maria Aznar a fascist and repeatedly interrupted current Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero, prompting Juan Carlos to snap at him: “Why don’t you shut up?”
The words instantly became a catchphrase in the Spanish-speaking world, where they were even turned into a mobile phone ring tone. T- shirts displaying the slogan are still for sale in Madrid.
Chavez threatened to freeze relations with Spain, but diplomats have patiently worked on mending them, with Zapatero meeting the Venezuelan leader in May and Spanish Foreign Minister Miguel Angel Moratinos visiting him in June.
Juan Carlos has not given Chavez the requested apology, but the Venezuelan finally said he wanted to give the king a hug - with the latter knowing, he added, that “I will not shut up.”
After meeting Juan Carlos, Chavez was scheduled to travel to Madrid for talks with Zapatero.
Chavez visited Spain during a tour which also took him to Russia, Belarus and Portugal.
- Spanish king confers highest honour on Sarkozy - Jan 17, 2012
- Spain and Venezuela say relations back on track - Jul 26, 2008
- Spain marks bicentennial of its first constitution - Mar 20, 2012
- Spanish king's son-in-law a suspect in corruption case - Dec 30, 2011
- Spain's king warns of hard times to come - Dec 14, 2011
- Spain sends out fighter jets to intervene in Libya - Mar 21, 2011
- I'd like to visit Spain, Obama tells King Juan Carlos - Feb 18, 2010
- Spain asks Cuba for better treatment of political prisoners - Feb 19, 2010
- Hundreds of thousands welcome pope in Madrid - Aug 19, 2011
- An unusual Spanish literary award ceremony - Apr 24, 2012
- Spain to increase aid to Cuba - Oct 20, 2009
- Spain offers help to Colombia to resolve diplomatic crisis - Jun 19, 2008
- Spain to push for Turkey's EU membership during its presidency - Nov 16, 2009
- Spain World Cup heroes fly in, prepare for celebrations(Lead) - Jul 12, 2010
- Spain seeks human rights commitment from Cuba - Feb 16, 2010
Tags: diplomatic incident, holiday island, hugo chavez, ibero american summit, jose luis rodriguez, jose luis rodriguez zapatero, juan carlos chavez, king juan carlos, luis rodriguez zapatero, marivent palace, miguel angel moratinos, mobile phone ring, palma de majorca, palma de majorca spain, president hugo chavez, prime minister jose luis rodriguez zapatero, spanish king, spanish prime minister, venezuelan president hugo, venezuelan president hugo chavez