Charles meets Pope, warns of a ‘new Dark Age’because of climate changeApril 28th, 2009 - 1:26 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr.28 (ANI): Heir to the British throne, Prince Charles, has warned that the world risks the possibility of plunging into a “new Dark Age” unless urgent action is taken on climate change.
During his first meeting with Pope Benedict XVI at the Vatican, Charles said the global economic crisis was “nothing” compared with the “horror” of global warming.
Flanked by Swiss Guards in ceremonial uniforms, the Prince of Wales met Benedict for a 15 minute reception in the Pontiff’s private apartments - his first Papal audience since his divorce from Princess Diana and subsequent remarriage.
His wife Camilla, who wore a black dress and a black lace veil, in keeping with Vatican protocol, and appeared nervous in the presence of the Pope, accompanied him.
The Pontiff, who recently turned 82, has made concern for the environment one of the keynotes of his papacy, regularly calling for more action on global warming and installing solar panels on the roof of the Vatican, reports The Telegraph.
The Prince of Wales gave Pope Benedict 12 ceramic dessert plates decorated with hand-painted flowers from his estate at Highgrove. In return he received a copy of a 500-year-old etching of St. Peter’s.
Earlier the Prince addressed the Italian parliament, telling deputies in a mix of English and Italian that time is running out in the fight against climate change and calling for a “Renaissance” of sustainable living. (ANI)
- Vatican denies Pope will donate organs after death says his donor card is invalid - Feb 05, 2011
- Pope Benedict's butler to face trial for stealing letters - Aug 13, 2012
- Media has tarnished Vatican's image: Pope - May 31, 2012
- Pope blesses worshippers via Twitter - Feb 24, 2012
- Italian ham leg, rubber bag among Prince Charles, Camilla's weird gifts - Jan 13, 2010
- Christmas 'midnight' mass to be held earlier: Vatican - Dec 08, 2009
- Pope, Prince Charles discuss environment at Vatican - Apr 27, 2009
- John Paul II beatified (Lead) - May 01, 2011
- Pope Benedict XVI may make first call to space on May 4 - Apr 24, 2011
- Pope prays for world peace on Christmas - Dec 25, 2011
- 'Too busy' Pope snubs Prince Charles: Report - Jul 11, 2010
- Vatican to unveil Facebook page for Pope John Paul II this week - Mar 14, 2011
- Roman Catholic Church slams film about panic-prone Pope - Apr 20, 2011
- Vatican releases Papal book - Nov 24, 2010
- Susan Boyle expected to perform for Pope during his visit to Britain - Jun 11, 2010
Tags: benedict xvi, black lace, ceremonial uniforms, climate change, dessert plates, global economic crisis, highgrove, italian parliament, keynotes, papacy, papal audience, pontiff, pope benedict, pope benedict xvi, prince charles, prince of wales, princess diana, private apartments, solar panels, swiss guards