Charles, Gore and Redford enlisted in Time’s list of green ‘heroes’November 14th, 2007 - 2:34 am ICT by admin
The magazine has branded them the world’s green “Leaders and Visionaries” in recognition of their contributions in spreading the environmental message.
While the journal praised Sir David for bringing his “schoolboyish enthusiasms” for the natural world to a television audience, Gore was commended for his ongoing environmental crusade.
The list, which includes 43 names, is dominated by green campaigners, scientists and writers.
However, it is believed that the inclusion of Charles’ name on the list may be slammed by his critics because apart from speaking out on green issues, he is also famous for driving an Aston Martin, flying all over the world and hunting animals for fun.
Another name that may be a bit controversial is of Sir Richard Branson, who owns the transatlantic airline Virgin. His has been branded a “green hero” at a time when many people feel that air travel pollutes the atmosphere.
However, Branson has been included for his efforts to tackle emissions and other issues, with plans to make his aircraft and the industry in general as environmentally friendly as possible.
The list also names activists who have been campaigning for wind farms or to save the coral reefs, and the team of scientists behind the Toyota Prius car.
“We call (these) men and women heroes, but they could just as easily be called speakers for the planet,” the Scotsman quoted the magazine’s environmental editor, Bryan Walsh, as saying. (ANI)
- Richard Branson advertises for builder to restore his Caribbean mansion - Jan 30, 2012
- Churchill named Britain's greatest gentleman of last century - Dec 10, 2011
- Mike Pandey named Environment Hero by Time magazine - Oct 01, 2009
- Daniel Craig replaces David Attenborough as new voice of BBC nature films - Apr 30, 2011
- Eco-wildlife film fest opens in Delhi - Feb 14, 2011
- Branson to work as air hostess on AirAsia flight - Nov 17, 2010
- Toyota sells one-millionth Prius in U.S. - Apr 06, 2011
- Al Gore to launch global climate crisis campaign - Jul 13, 2011
- Narayana Murthy among Fortune's 12 'greatest entrepreneurs' - Mar 28, 2012
- What's stinking? Oh the world's smelliest flower! - Apr 24, 2011
- Facebook founder Zuckerberg is Time's Person of Year (Lead) - Dec 15, 2010
- TV channels must be allowed to air biased news programmes: BBC broadcaster - Dec 20, 2010
- Al Gore gets school honour - Sep 07, 2010
- Diaz flirts with David Attenborough - May 25, 2012
- Branson's stint as stewardess put on hold after he injures his knee - Jan 15, 2011
Tags: bryan walsh, campaigners, coral reefs, environmental editor, environmental message, gore, heroes, international magazine, magazine time, mikhail gorbachev, prius car, s green, scientists, sir david attenborough, sir richard branson, television audience, toyota prius, visionaries, wind farms