Chargesheet against terrorist Kasab by 3 p.m.February 25th, 2009 - 1:28 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Feb 25 (IANS) The chargesheet against the lone captured terrorist of the 26/11 Mumbai attacks, Mohammed Ajmal Amir alias Kasab, will be filed before the court of the metropolitan magistrate here by 3 p.m. Wednesday, said Special Public Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam.
“The chargesheet against Kasab will be filed in the post-lunch session. I think we should do it by around 3 p.m.,” Nikam, who will represent the state in the case, told IANS.
He added that the chargesheet will first be filed before the metropolitan magistrate and later committed to the Special Court headed by Judge M.L. Tahilyani.
Besides Kasab, the only terrorist nabbed alive, the chargesheet names at least 11 others, including some Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) activists like Fahim Ansari and Salauddin Mohammed, for their role in the attacks.
The mammoth chargesheet, reportedly running into over 5,000 pages, marks the end of the first stage of police investigations into the dastardly terror attacks that left over 170 dead and more than 300 injured.
However, the chargesheet will not include the confessional statement of Kasab on the Mumbai terror attacks of Nov 26-29 since the police have not yet got it from the court, said Joint Police Commissioner Rakesh Maria.
Even the 30 questions raised by Pakistan about the Mumbai terror attacks probe would not be included since the “Mumbai police has not got those questions”.
The chargesheet will be filed simultaneously in English, Marathi and Urdu, he said.
Presently in police custody, Kasab is facing charges in at least 12 different cases. He is lodged in the high security precincts of the Arthur Road Jail in south-central Mumbai.
No special security measures were evident since Wednesday morning either around the jail or the metropolitan magistrate’s court.
- Bring terror suspect Hamza to Mumbai: Court (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Timeline of case against Kasab - Aug 29, 2012
- Timeline of 26/11 case - Feb 21, 2011
- Voluminous charge sheet against Kasab filed - Feb 25, 2009
- Kasab attacked security guard in jail, court told - Sep 28, 2010
- Pakistan judicial commission leaves for New Delhi - Mar 19, 2012
- Timeline of Mumbai terror attacks trial - May 02, 2010
- High court rejects Kasab plea to meet lawyers in isolation - Sep 29, 2010
- 26/11: Pak judicial panel to begin India visit Wednesday - Mar 13, 2012
- Timeline in 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks trial - Mar 31, 2010
- 26/11 Indian mastermind held, Mumbai police seek custody (Roundup) (With Images) - Jun 25, 2012
- Man in egg cell who costs India high - Nov 25, 2010
- Kasab death penalty: Arguments in high court begin Oct 18 - Oct 07, 2010
- Kasab is over 20 years old - medical examiners tell court - Apr 28, 2009
- All set for 26/11 trial verdict - May 03, 2010
Tags: ajmal, ansari, arthur road, confessional statement, fahim, kasab, lashkar e taiba, lunch session, magistrate, marathi, mumbai police, police commissioner, police custody, police investigations, public prosecutor, rakesh, salauddin, security measures, special security, terror attacks