Channel 4 ordered to hand over Diana videos

November 14th, 2007 - 2:37 am ICT by admin  
The inquest aims to determine whether Diana and her boyfriend Dodi Fayed, who were killed in the French car crash on 31 August 1997, were victims of a tragic accident, or were the targets of an assassination plot headed by the British royal family, as claimed by Fayed’s father, tycoon Mohamed Al Fayed.

On Oct 19, coroner Lord Justice Scott Baker requested the release of the previously unseen tapes, as it could provide crucial new evidence about the royal’s death, reports the Telegraph.

Lord Justice Scott Baker’s representative, Jonathan Hough, told Mr Justice Eady, “The coroner has to investigate whether the actions of the paparazzi contributed to the crash. There is good reason to believe unbroadcast material relates to those issues.”

The footage includes interviews with some of the paparazzi who followed Diana’s Mercedes before it crashed in a Paris underpass in 1997.

The video footage was filmed for the controversial documentary into Diana’s death, which sparked rage when it was aired in the U.K. earlier this year.

This is not the first time Channel 4 have refused to give up the footage - they have been holding the tapes for four months after the coroner’s first request to see the tapes.

Heather Rogers, a spokeswoman for Channel 4, said an urgent review of the evidence would go ahead and any relevant material disclosed as soon as it was found. (ANI)

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in World |