Celebrity website faces probe for putting Octuplet babies ‘at risk’June 17th, 2009 - 2:43 pm ICT by ANI
New York, June 17 (ANI): A celebrity website is being investigated for overlooking child labor laws with its relentless coverage of the world’s most famous octuplets born to Nadya Suleman.
California labor officials are probing RadarOnline.com, who was given several citations for filming the March homecoming of the eight babies born earlier this year.
The website was slapped with various fines, including 500 dollars for lack of a permit to employ minors, 1,000 dollars for failing to have entertainment permits on file, 1,000 dollars for shooting the babies beyond the allowed hours and another 500 dollars for not having a chaperone versed in child labor laws.
California Labor Commissioner Angela Bradstreet said that the site could not take cover in the First Amendment because it paid the Octomom to cover her children.
“There’s overwhelming evidence that what we had going on here was a little movie, with RadarOnline exerting creative control, telling nurses to get out of the shot,” the New York Daily News quoted her as saying.
“These are really egregious violations that put these babies at risk,” she added.
RadarOnline, on the other hand, has defended itself saying in statement on its website: “Like any other newsgathering organization, RadarOnline is not required to obtain permits, nor is it restricted to certain hours in its newsgathering operations.
“RadarOnline has not seen any paperwork from the Department of Labor and therefore cannot comment on specifics.”
The Labor Commission further said that the mother could not be held at fault since the responsibility was transferred to RadarOnline with the video diary agreement.
Spokesman Dean Fryer said: “She contracted with Radar, so they have all the responsibility ensuring that the parameters of the law are met. The law only requires her to be present.”
Suleman, 33, became a history-making mum after giving birth to the eight babies on January 26.
The single, unemployed mother added to her previous lot of six kids after conceiving all her kids through in-vitro fertilization. (ANI)
- Octomom Nadya Suleman to sell bikini, bra to feed her 14 kids - Sep 26, 2010
- Octomom not evicted yet from home - Jan 03, 2011
- Baby Addict "Octomom" Seeks Financial Solution In "Oprah Winfrey Show" - Jan 17, 2011
- Octomom faces lawsuit for exploiting her kids - May 05, 2009
- Octomom Of America, Nadya Suleman, Voices To Oprah Winfrey That She Was A Baby Addict - Jan 17, 2011
- Octomom inks $250k reality show deal - Jul 27, 2009
- The Super-mom - Nadya Suleman - Mar 03, 2009
- Nadya Suleman To Do A Porn Movie? - Sep 19, 2010
- Broke Octomom 'ready to go on welfare' - Sep 18, 2010
- Fertility doc says Octomom agreed to be "human guinea pig" in study - Nov 20, 2010
- Octomom Nadya Suleman on brink of losing home - Sep 17, 2010
- No one wants to publish Octomom Nadya Suleman's autobiography: Report - Aug 18, 2010
- Octomom Nadya Suleman makes her horror movie debut - Oct 19, 2011
- Octuplets celebrate 1st birthday - Jan 26, 2010
- Octomom To Come Into Sight On The Show Of Oprah Winfrey - Apr 15, 2010
Tags: angela bradstreet, california labor commissioner, celebrity website, chaperone, child labor laws, creative control, department of labor, egregious violations, fryer, giving birth, labor officials, laws california, new york daily news, newsgathering, octuplets, overwhelming evidence, radaronline, unem, video diary, york daily news