Celebrity chefs inspiring men to spend more time cooking: StudyAugust 17th, 2009 - 1:14 pm ICT by ANI
London, Aug 17 (ANI): Men are spending more and more time cooking, all thanks to celebrity chefs like Gordon Ramsay and Jamie Oliver, according to a new report.
The report said that men now spend more than twice the amount of time preparing meals than they did in 1961 after being inspired by these celebrity chefs, who have given cookery a more macho image.
“The man in the kitchen is part of a much wider social trend. There has been 40 years of gender equality, but there is another 40 years probably to come,” the Telegraph quoted Prof Jonatahn Gershuny, from Oxford University as saying.
The reports also showed that women, who a generation ago spent a fraction under two hours a day cooking, now spend just one hour and seven minutes - a dramatic fall, but they still spend far more time at the hob than men.
Some commentators have dubbed the emergence of men in aprons as “Gastrosexuals”, who have been inspired to pick up a spatula by the success of male celebrity chefs.
The report was commissioned by frozen food company Birds Eye. (ANI)
- More than half of UK men do most of the cooking at home - Mar 23, 2011
- Men like cooking in the nude - Nov 16, 2010
- 'MasterChef India' winner will now host cookery show - Aug 31, 2011
- Lily Allen gets cooking lesson from Gordon Ramsay - May 24, 2011
- Female chef in Gordon Ramsay's kitchen claims sexual harassment - Apr 23, 2011
- Frying meat on gas hob 'ups cancer risk' - Feb 18, 2010
- Cook, chomp, hog - food channels on small screen menu - Dec 29, 2010
- In Britain, just one in four meals is home-cooked - Nov 27, 2011
- Meet 'Men-tertainers' - men who cook, host parties - Oct 08, 2009
- Now children are cooking their first meal 5-yrs earlier than their parents did - Feb 16, 2011
- Gordon Ramsay to sue family members - Aug 09, 2011
- Gordon Ramsay creates Christmas book for Beckhams - Dec 20, 2011
- Cowell to launch cookery show - Jan 29, 2012
- Madhuri wants to invite the three Khans to dinner - Feb 08, 2011
- Gordon Ramsay to star in 'The Simpsons' - Nov 13, 2011
Tags: amount of time, aprons, birds eye, celebrity chefs, commentators, dramatic fall, emergence, fraction, frozen food company, gender equality, gordon ramsay, hob, jamie oliver, macho image, male celebrity, oxford university, report said that, social trend, spatula, telegraph