Ceasefire declared in SwatNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:54 am ICT by admin
Heavy fighting broke out in Swat valley a day after a blast tore through a security forces vehicle, killing about 30 people, in an apparent reaction to the arrival of more than 2,000 troops in the area earlier this week.
Maulana Fazlullah, a powerful rebel cleric who advocates jihad and Taliban-style rule in the region, had gone underground after an attack on the army convoy.
Fazlullah, who used to run an illegal FM radio station in Swat, had earlier announced after consultations with clerics that he would go to Kohistan.
Sources said that he was not in Kohistan and was believed to be hiding in Swat’s Matta area.
Earlier, the army announced on Wednesday that it was sending in 2,500 additional troops to Swat to maintain law and order.
Fazlullah warned in a speech the same day that his supporters would retaliate if security forces attacked them. (ANI)
- Mullah Fazlullah's close aide surrenders in Swat - Jul 22, 2010
- 35 killed as troops battle militants in northwest Pakistan - Dec 23, 2008
- Pak soldiers, pro-Taliban militants clash in Swat - Nov 14, 2007
- Injured Pakistani Taliban leader surrounded: Minister - Nov 05, 2009
- Pakistani Taliban leader declared proclaimed offender - Aug 19, 2009
- New video footage shows Swat Taliban chief Mullah Fazlullah alive and in action - Jul 23, 2010
- Maulana Fazlullah's aide arrested in Pakistan - Oct 26, 2009
- 43 more Taliban killed as Pak forces continue to pound militants in FATA - Jun 23, 2010
- 30 militants killed in Pakistan (Lead) - Sep 13, 2009
- Senior Taliban commander killed in Pakistan's Swat valley - Oct 07, 2009
- Militant clashes kill nine civilians in Pakistan - Oct 09, 2008
- 25 Pakistani troopers killed in Taliban attack: Army - Aug 27, 2011
- 11 Taliban militants killed in Pakistan - Dec 10, 2010
- Top pro-Taliban cleric faces treason charge in Pakistan - Aug 02, 2009
- Pakistan security forces kill 13 militants - Nov 11, 2008
Tags: army, ceasefire, clerics, convoy, earlier this week, fm radio station, gunship, helicopters, hideout, jihad, law and order, matta, maulana, rebel cleric, rebels, retaliate, security forces, style rule, supporters, swat valley