CCTV anchor suspected of spying for TaiwanJune 12th, 2009 - 2:16 pm ICT by ANI
Beijing, June 12 (ANI): The China Central Television (CCTV) anchor Fang Jing has been suspected of spying for Taiwan.
The 38-year-old face of CCTV’s prime-time military program ‘Defense Watch’ is being investigated for possibly spying for Taiwan.
Fang, a Beijing native, started hosting the program in 2006. Her last on-air appearance was on the Sunday edition on March 1 when she hosted an episode about India’s military strength featuring Rear Admiral Zhang Zhaozhong, a military expert at the National Defense University.
Fang’s segments often touch upon regional military topics and she compares China’s military capacity with foreign powers, often with the help of specialists from the People’s Liberation Army.
Zhang, who has been a frequent guest on the show, has said that Fang’s case is “still under investigation” and “no conclusion has been reached so far”.
“She has not been jailed as is being rumored,” Zhang said. “But she is not hosting the program anymore, because she is currently being investigated.”
Fang, who started working for CCTV in 1994, had been member of the all-star line-up at some of the largest live broadcasts in CCTV history, including the three-day live coverage of the return of Hong Kong to the mainland in 1997 and live coverage of the millennium celebrations, the China Daily reported. (ANI)
- Agni-V can reach targets 8,000 km away: Chinese researcher - Apr 20, 2012
- Agni-V can hit targets 8,000 km away, says Chinese expert (Lead) - Apr 20, 2012
- Chinese official suspended for beating air stewardess - Sep 04, 2012
- US-China military hotline eases ties - Nov 12, 2011
- US puts arms sales to Taiwan on hold as goodwill gesture to China - Jun 30, 2010
- Chinese college students living life the 'low-cost' way - Oct 23, 2010
- China-US military ties impasse set to end - Oct 12, 2010
- China offers to open talks on military issues with Taiwan - Oct 14, 2010
- Man held for airing porn clip on live TV - Jul 20, 2012
- Asian love story opens 60th anniversary Berlinale - Feb 12, 2010
- China opposes US-Taiwan relations - Jul 19, 2012
- Don't eat dogs, urge Chinese animal rights groups - Nov 20, 2011
- China, US agree to reduce "miscalculation" risk between two armed forces - Jan 11, 2011
- Beyonce rocks Beijing with her gig - Oct 24, 2009
- Serial killer arrested in China - May 27, 2012
Tags: anchor, beijing, china central television, china daily, frequent guest, liberation army, live broadcasts, live coverage, mainland, march 1, military capacity, military expert, military program, military strength, millennium celebrations, national defense university, old face, prime time, rear admiral, star line