Cat’s pee, sweaty passionfruit core aromas of leading Kiwi winesMay 11th, 2009 - 5:54 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, May 11 (ANI): Cat’s pee and sweaty passionfruit are core aromas of some of the New Zealand’s leading wines, researchers have found.
The wine scientists spent more than 12 million dollars in describing the flavours of the country’s most popular grape variety, sauvignon blanc, which has a unique flavour and character.
During the study, the research team carried out tests to differentiate between sixteen flavours, including canned and fresh asparagus, stone fruit, apple and snow peas.
A wine region called Wairarapa, near the capital of Wellington, was found to have cat’s pee influences in the white wine.
A panel of ordinary wine drinkers rated the flavour as intense “sweet, sweaty passionfruit” and asparagus.
Plant and Food science research leader Dr. Roger Harker said that wine lovers routinely describe their favourite drink using the terms like cat’s pee and capsicum.
One of the wineries, Cooper’s Creek, has already named its sauvignon blanc ‘Cat’s Pee on a Gooseberry Bush’.
Sue Blackmore, a wine science lecturer at New Zealand’s Lincoln University, said that the flavours were only found in moderation.
“We’re talking about parts per billion, very tiny amounts to make the wine more complexing and interesting,” The Age quoted Blackmore as saying.
“If you had a whole lot of the compounds that give you cat’s pee it obviously wouldn’t be great but it’s amazing what a little can do,” she added.
A wine retailer said that Kiwis were unfazed by the unsavoury associations in their favourite wine.
“Most wouldn’t stop to think about it. Most people drink purely for enjoyment - they don’t stop to analyse the wine,” said the retailer. (ANI)
- South Africa pushes its fruity presses in Indian wine mart (With Image) - Jun 07, 2012
- Swig of spicy red Chile in Indian wine glass - Sep 21, 2011
- 'Two glasses of wine a day will bring down cholesterol level' - Jun 03, 2012
- Earliest known winery found in Armenian cave - Jan 11, 2011
- Can sauvignon blanc in sunscreen help avoid sunburn? - Jan 17, 2011
- Britons lack even basic wine knowledge - Apr 09, 2010
- Great wine starts with the environment: Sula's motto (With images) - Jan 29, 2012
- Indian winemakers to compete with West at London Wine Fair - May 16, 2010
- Treat for wine lovers, Chilean way (With Images) (Lead, correcting spelling) - Jul 23, 2012
- Treat for wine lovers, Chilean way (With Images) - Jul 23, 2012
- Indian-origin entrepreneur builds wine chateau in Argentina - Sep 06, 2011
- Cheers! Karnataka to brew more wines for global markets - Mar 01, 2012
- Wine tours - a whole new weekend getaway (With Images) - Mar 02, 2011
- Indian Ambience Vineyards introduces outstanding tastes 'YAANA' - Oct 08, 2010
- Wine aficionados throng Pune wine tasting festival - Dec 12, 2010
Tags: capsicum, flavours, food science research, fruit apple, gooseberry bush, grape variety, harker, lincoln university, research leader, s creek, sauvignon blanc, snow peas, stone fruit, tiny amounts, white wine, wine drinkers, wine lovers, wine region, wine retailer, wine science