Catholic nuns accused of ruining women’s sex livesApril 27th, 2009 - 5:38 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Apr 27 (ANI): Cosmopolitan magazine’s new executive editor has created a stir by blaming Catholic nuns for ruining women’s sex lives.
Editor Nicole Beland was asked by a reader in her final April column, “My sexually repressed wife can’t even say ’sex’ without whispering. How can I help her open up?”
To which Beland replied, “It’s not easy to undo damage caused by years of exposure to Catholic-school nuns or overly conservative parents.
“She may need therapy to accept that sex can be a wholesome and glorious thing . . . Every positive thing you say about sex will undo some of the negativity she’s been brainwashed to feel her whole life,” she added.
‘Enraged’ Catholic League president William Donohue has criticized Beland for her views.
“It would never occur to Beland that a woman who is sexually repressed might have been molested growing up,” the New York Post quoted Donohue as saying.
“No, for Beland it is empirically obvious that Sister Mary Alice did it . . . Imagine some poor soul asking about his sexually promiscuous wife. Imagine Beland answering, ‘It’s not easy to undo damage caused by years of exposure to Jewish-school teachers or overly liberal parents,’ ” he added.
Beland retorted: “I can’t believe that after writing a sex and relationship advice column for eight years, that this is the first thing that Bill Donohue has taken issue with. Clearly he’s not a devoted reader.
“My advice . . . was, as always, based on my personal experiences. I went to Catholic school for eight long years and am now working at
Cosmopolitan magazine, so obviously I’m aware that lengthy exposure to nuns doesn’t kill everyone’s sex drive.
“But could it put a damper on someone’s appetite for action? Yeah, I think so,” she added. (ANI)
- Lady Gaga 'shock tactics' in new song Judas upsets Catholic leaders - Apr 17, 2011
- Kerala sister's book runs into controversy - Aug 12, 2012
- India becoming more tolerant, says 'The Revised Kamasutra' writer - Sep 30, 2010
- Gaga's new single 'Judas' upsets catholic campaigners - Apr 12, 2011
- Inside the marriage of Tony Parker's sexting gal pal - Nov 20, 2010
- Gangraped Buddhist nun faces new ordeal in Nepal - Aug 16, 2011
- Gangraped Buddhist nun faces new ordeal in Nepal (Lead) - Aug 16, 2011
- Catholic Nun - Sister Marie Thornton spared jail term despite embezzling $850,000 - Nov 15, 2011
- Eva Mendes wanted to be a nun - Dec 17, 2010
- Catholic groups at loggerheads over Empire State Building Mother Teresa snub - Aug 26, 2010
- Lady Gaga upsets Catholics with new single 'Judas' - Apr 11, 2011
- Thousands protest Empire State Building's snub of Mother Teresa - May 14, 2010
- Assault with a deadly French fry (The Funny Side) - Jul 06, 2012
- Lady Gaga was taught about sex with wooden penis - Feb 19, 2011
- New Indian novels mirror contemporary man-woman relationships - May 16, 2012
Tags: bill donohue, catholic league president william donohue, catholic nuns, catholic school, conservative parents, cosmopolitan magazine, damper, executive editor, jewish school, league president, lengthy exposure, liberal parents, mary alice, negativity, new york post, nicole beland, personal experiences, president william, relationship advice column, sister mary