Catholic clergyman jailed for sex attacks on handicapped boysAugust 1st, 2008 - 11:25 am ICT by IANS
Wellington, Aug 1 (DPA) A 73-year-old Catholic clergyman was sentenced Friday to two years, nine months in prison for sexually abusing mentally handicapped boys at a residential school 30 years ago in Christchurch, news reports said. Brother Rodger Moloney, who was prior of the St. John of God order, which ran the school, was found guilty last month on seven charges after a three-week trial.
He was acquitted of 16 other offences.
His sentence concludes a long investigation into more than 125 complaints against five Catholic brothers who taught at the school, which closed in 1985.
Moloney is the fourth of the brothers to be sentenced, and the fifth, who was extradited with Moloney from Australia, was ruled too ill to stand trial, escaping prosecution.
The Catholic Church has reportedly paid more than $3.65 million in compensation to boys who were abused at the school from 1974 to 1977.
- British college teacher found guilty of sexual abuse - Jul 25, 2012
- Former priest jailed for sexual abuse of boys - Oct 22, 2010
- Bollywood's first superstar, Rajesh Khanna's filmography - Jul 18, 2012
- Catholic priest jailed for child sex abuse - Mar 10, 2012
- Tunisia to extradite former Libyan PM - May 23, 2012
- Lady Gaga was taught about sex with wooden penis - Feb 19, 2011
- Kiwi father forced daughter to pray after sexually abusing her - Oct 31, 2010
- Indian-American teacher heads to jail for sex with minor - Jul 24, 2012
- Karate champion convicted of abusing teenager - Dec 27, 2011
- Sex abuse 'victim' to sue the Pope in US - Apr 23, 2010
- If you tell anyone, I'll kill you: Priest told sex abuse victim - Jul 25, 2011
- Church to probe sexual abuse allegation (Lead) - Mar 21, 2010
- Mubarak verdict to be appealed against - Jun 03, 2012
- Rape-murder accused's acquittal reversed; gets life term - Feb 13, 2012
- School principal found guilty of sexually abusing boys - Jul 31, 2010
Tags: australia, brother rodger, catholic brothers, catholic church, catholic clergyman, dpa, john of god, news reports, nine months, prosecution, residential school, sex attacks, st john of god, wellington