Catholic Cardinal says it’s not a sin to gamble, sell armsNovember 12th, 2010 - 6:53 pm ICT by ANI
Sydney, Nov 12 (ANI): During a business lunch hosted by Notre Dame University, a senior Catholic cleric said that it is not a sin to gamble or to sell arms.
Cardinal George Pell also suggested it might be somewhat hypocritical for the Catholic Church to condemn gambling outright, given the proliferation of poker machines in NSW Catholic clubs.
“I must confess I do feel a bit uneasy about that, but only a bit uneasy. Because culturally I’m an Irish Australian and we grew up gambling,” the Sydney Morning Herald quoted him as saying.
Pell said that gambling in itself was not intrinsically wrong, and that only when it became an addiction, threatening the well being of oneself and one’s family, did it become a sin.
And when quizzed about the ethics of selling arms, he hypothesised that global military contractors may in fact be acting on a moral imperative.
“I think you can produce arms morally … You might say in some cases it is necessary. We are a peaceful country. If we were unarmed that would be an enticement to evil people,” he said.
“The best way to stay as we are is to be strong and effectively armed so I think you could make the case,” he added. (ANI)
- Selling arms, gambling not sins: Australian cleric - Nov 12, 2010
- Pope John Paul II may become saint within 5 years: Oz pastor - May 01, 2011
- Year-old babies track word patterns to support learning - Dec 11, 2011
- Berlusconi's conduct 'sowing the seeds of an 'anthropological disaster' - Jan 25, 2011
- Oz Catholic Church head says AIDS-afflicted countries 'awash with condoms' - Apr 10, 2009
- Notre Dame Loses Against Stanford: Weis Career With Notre Dame May End - Nov 29, 2009
- Toby Gerhart helps Stanford to beat Notre Dame - Nov 29, 2009
- Young India hooked to gaming like never before - Sep 27, 2011
- Pope 'truly sorry' for sexual abuse by Irish priests - Mar 20, 2010
- Ben Hansbrough Ensures Win For Notre Dame - Jan 25, 2011
- Condoms are an "attractive" way of tackling poverty, says Archbishop - Apr 03, 2010
- Pastor Joel Osteen feels that being gay is a sin - Jan 11, 2012
- Warne to launch branded poker rooms in Oz gambling kingpin Packer's Crown Casinos - Sep 03, 2010
- You bet! On Diwali, teen patti wins over poker - Oct 30, 2010
- Robert Rodriguez, Frank Miller to start `Sin City' sequel - Apr 14, 2012
Tags: addiction, business lunch, cardinal george pell, catholic church, cleric, enticement, ethics, military contractors, moral imperative, morning herald, notre dame, notre dame university, peaceful country, poker machines, proliferation, quizzed, sydney morning herald, sydney nov