Cat hailed a hero after saving house from fire by opening windowDecember 14th, 2010 - 7:03 pm ICT by ANI
London, Dec 14 (ANI): A cat in Britain has been hailed as a hero after it prevented its owner’s house from burning down by opening a window.
Pepper, a five-year-old pet cat, had learned to open windows and let himself out every night by hopping on to a kitchen worktop and using his paws to turn the latch.
When a fire broke while his owners were Christmas shopping, the quick-thinking puss leapt into action and opened the window to allow the acrid smoke to escape.
The billowing cloud of ash alerted neighbours and firefighters rushed to the scene and extinguished the blaze before it spread to the rest of the house.
“He first did it (opened the window) at a dinner party and everyone was applauding him, I think it spurred him on,” the Daily Mail quoted owner Sharon White, of Totnes, Devon, as saying.
“He can climb back in through the window by jumping diagonally on to the ledge as well so he really does come and go as he pleases.
“Pepper is still a bit spooked by the ordeal but is still managing to eat plenty of food,” she added.
Sharon and husband Phil, a radiologist at Torbay Hospital, Devon, were handed Pepper over four years ago after a neighbour could no longer look after it.
“If Pepper hadn’t opened the window the fire would have developed quite a lot,” Stefan Belsten, of Devon and Somerset fire service, stated. (ANI)
- Couple Saved From Fire By Their Cats - Nov 10, 2010
- 16 injured as Mantralaya fire rages, all rescued (Second Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Cat leaps though open window to avoid castration! - Jun 07, 2010
- Oscar, The First Bionic Cat, To Get Prosthetic Paws - Jun 28, 2010
- Missing cat pops out of car engine - Mar 23, 2012
- Tiger Woods' porn star 'mistress' fired from hooker gig - Sep 10, 2010
- Woman microwaves kitten to death - Nov 25, 2011
- Tigger the cat survives after jumping 40ft from roof of building! - Feb 22, 2010
- Banderas, Hayek present `Puss in Boots' on cruise ship - Oct 18, 2011
- 'Puss In Boots' - Fun but not enough (IANS Movie Review - Rating: ***) - Dec 03, 2011
- Brit dog falls off 200ft cliff, spends 6 days on bushy ledge, but survives! - May 31, 2010
- Salma Hayek graces the Cannes Festival - May 12, 2011
- 'Rango' named best animated feature film at Oscars - Feb 27, 2012
- Two killed, 16 injured in Mantralaya fire (Intro Night Lead) (With images) - Jun 22, 2012
- 9-year-old Brit girl survives 30ft plunge from window! - Jan 04, 2010
Tags: acrid smoke, blaze, christmas shopping, daily mail, dinner party, fire service, firefighters, kitchen worktop, latch, neighbour, neighbours, ordeal, paws, pepper, pet cat, radiologist, sharon white, somerset, torbay hospital, totnes devon