Castro not to make public appearance anymore: ChavezJanuary 12th, 2009 - 4:39 pm ICT by IANS
Caracas, Jan 12 (IANS) Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez has said that Cuban leader Fidel Castro would not appear at official public events in future because of his delicate health, EFE reported Monday.”Regrettably, we know that that will not occur again… the former Fidel, who went through the streets and towns at daybreak… with his uniform and embracing the people. It won’t happen. It will remain a memory,” Chavez said during his Sunday radio and television programme “Alo Presidente”.
The Venezuelan leader, who often calls Castro “father, brother, teacher or comrade”, said he never imagined that the July 2006 visit he made with Castro to the former home of deceased revolutionary icon Ernesto “Che” Guevara in the Argentine city of Cordoba would be the last that they would undertake together.
During the visit to Che’s house, “we became mischievous little boys again”, and afterwards Fidel “took me to the door of the plane, we gave each other an embrace. How could I think, my God, that it was the last time” they would appear in public together, the Venezuelan leader said.
“Fidel’s going to live, as he is living and will always live, beyond physical life,” added Chavez, who has frequently travelled to Havana in recent years to visit Castro.
The 82-year-old Cuban leader is convalescing from an intestinal ailment that has not allowed him to appear in public since July 2006. He stepped down from the Cuban presidency in favour of his younger brother Raul.
- Chavez heads back to Venezuela - Mar 17, 2012
- Che Guevara's motorcycle companion dead - Mar 06, 2011
- Fidel Castro meets cancer-stricken Hugo Chavez - Mar 03, 2012
- Venezuela's Chavez back in the public eye - May 24, 2012
- Socialism can't resolve all ills: Fidel Castro (Lead) - Feb 05, 2012
- Castro meets experts to discuss threats to human species - Feb 12, 2012
- Fidel Castro releases two-volume memoir - Feb 05, 2012
- Fidel Castro unlikely to take part in a public event again: Chavez - Jan 12, 2009
- Cancer once made Chavez consider leaving politics - Sep 05, 2012
- Castro to reappear on TV after four-year absence - Jul 13, 2010
- New `Che' comic inspired by his most famous portrait - Apr 18, 2012
- Fidel Castro amused by speculations about his death - Sep 11, 2011
- Venezuela president goes for last chemotherapy session - Sep 18, 2011
- Venezuelan president starts blogging - May 26, 2010
- Fidel Castro to deliver first public speech since 2006 - Sep 03, 2010
Tags: ailment, alo presidente, brother raul, che guevara, comrade, cuban leader fidel, cuban leader fidel castro, daybreak, delicate health, efe, ernesto che guevara, fidel castro, havana, hugo chavez, little boys, president hugo chavez, public appearance, television programme, venezuelan president hugo, venezuelan president hugo chavez