Castrate serial rapists, says Malaysian ministerJuly 10th, 2008 - 3:59 pm ICT by IANS
Kuala Lumpur, July 10 (IANS) A Malaysian minister has demanded that serial rapists be castrated and given hormone therapy to reduce sexual desire. “Uncontrollable sexual desire is no excuse for committing rape. Castration should be debated and considered as a solution to the problem,” Women, Family and Community Development Minister Ng Yen Yen said Wednesday.
Ng, however, said she was speaking as a doctor and not as a minister.
“From the medical perspective, if it is proven that a person is a repetitive rapist due to surging testosterone, then I am an advocate for castration. I am not speaking as a minister but as a medical doctor,” The Star newspaper quoted her as saying.
“I’m talking about reducing testosterone production,” Ng added.
Like many nations across the world, Malaysia has a rising crime graph. According to police statistics, 1,887 rape cases were reported in 2005, 2,435 in 2006 and 3,177 cases last year.
“I am just saying that we all should be more open to discussing this issue. Allow for more research,” Ng told reporters after launching a research-based handbook titled “Rapist and Rape: Who and Why”.
Rachel Samuel, a university lecturer in Malacca was the principal researcher for the book while Rohana Ariffin, the editor and co-researcher, is a former Universiti Sains Malaysia associate professor.
The book is based on research on 90 convicted rapists. The book focuses on the rapists rather than the victims and is based on interviews with the offenders.
The study found that incest and being attacked while on a date or with a new acquaintance were the common cases. The victims were aged 16 and below. The majority of rapists were found to be from the rural areas, with low education levels and married.
- Castration as punishment for rape? The debate intensifies - May 06, 2011
- In virtual world, men support castration for rapists - May 02, 2011
- Castration for rapist? Many women don't agree - May 03, 2011
- Sri Lanka records rise in rapes of children - Jul 05, 2012
- 100 paedophiles chemically castrated in Britain - Mar 13, 2012
- Oz MP's bid to microchip, castrate sex offenders rejected - Mar 24, 2011
- 'Viagra effect' from a glass of pomegranate juice - May 04, 2012
- Russian parliament approves chemical castration for paedophiles - Feb 23, 2012
- Jailed rapist released early assaults again within weeks - Jun 08, 2011
- 'Ageing not linked to drop in testosterone levels' - Jun 24, 2012
- Two more rapes, an attempted rape in Uttar Pradesh - Jun 22, 2011
- Global paedophile ring busted in Russia - Dec 14, 2011
- China jails Australian Matthew Ng for 13 years - Dec 07, 2011
- IGNOU opens admission to tourism courses - Jul 16, 2012
- Japan intervenes in forex market to weaken yen - Oct 31, 2011
Tags: castration, development minister, education levels, hormone therapy, kuala lumpur, malaysian minister, medical doctor, medical perspective, police statistics, principal researcher, rape cases, rapist, rohana, rural areas, serial rapists, sexual desire, testosterone, universiti sains malaysia, university lecturer, yen yen