Cashed-up New Zealand Asian pair still on the runJune 17th, 2009 - 3:42 pm ICT by ANI
Wellington (New Zealand), June 17 (ANI): The infamous cashed-up Asian-origin couple, who escaped from New Zealand, continue to prove elusive for Kiwi police.
Kiwi police say “cultural differences” are challenging their efforts to find failed petrol station owner Leo Gao and his girlfriend.
Both fled New Zealand to Asia in May after Westpac accidentally deposited 3.8 million New Zealand dollars into his account.
The embarrassing blunder was caused by a misplaced decimal point in a bank loan application.
Gao and Kara Hurring were sighted in Hong Kong and the gambling mecca Macau a month ago, but despite international media attention have not been seen since.
New Zealand police are clearly not predicting an imminent capture.
They said on Wednesday they were still preparing a mutual assistance request to the Chinese Government, a process which has taken several weeks. (ANI)
- New Zealander charged with stealing millions - Jan 05, 2012
- China chasing embezzled money in New Zealand - May 24, 2010
- Asian couple accused of New Zealand bank fraud may now be in Hong Kong - May 22, 2009
- Bank-mistake millionaires not as rich as they thought - May 23, 2009
- Couple made millionaires by bank mistake may be in Hong Kong: New Zealand police - May 22, 2009
- New Zealand to send 185 athletes to London Olympics - Jul 09, 2012
- Malaysia raids football gambling syndicates - Jul 05, 2012
- Kiwis banking on young swimmers to make golden splash in Delhi CWG pool - Oct 02, 2010
- New Zealand's Westpac bank commits second million-dollar blunder in just one month - Jun 27, 2009
- Kiwis 'fritter away more than $16m on impulse buys every day' - Feb 02, 2011
- Wellington is the 'coolest little capital' - Nov 01, 2010
- Bomb scare at New Zealand airport - Jun 26, 2011
- Black Caps move power hitters down the order for ODI against Pak - Jan 21, 2011
- Asian couple involved in New Zealand bank fraud may be in China - May 21, 2009
- Kiwi Spanish resident complains of racist abuse - Jan 16, 2011
Tags: asian origin, assistance request, bank loan, blunder, chinese government, cultural differences, decimal point, gao, girlfriend, international media attention, kara, kiwi, leo, loan application, mecca, mutual assistance, new zealand dollars, wellington new zealand, westpac, zealand police