Cary Grant snatches Greatest Ever Male Style Icon from David BeckhamJuly 5th, 2008 - 4:56 pm ICT by ANI
London , July 5 (ANI): British actor Cary Grant has beaten ace footballer David Beckham for the title of Greatest Ever Male Style Icon.
The Hollywood screen legend, remembered for his sophisticated looks, has left modern-day style guru 33-year-old Beckham trailing behind him in a poll of 4,000 Brit men.
Grant, who died in 1986 at the age of 81, was chosen for his sharp but classic look. He was a huge hit with women in Hollywood and was married five times.
Third place on the list went to Pirates Of The Caribbean star Johnny Depp, 45, with The Great Escape actor Steve McQueen, nicknamed the King of Cool thanks to his rugged, laid-back style, coming in at fourth place.
The top five was rounded off by Sean Connery, 77, who acted as James Bond in seven 007 movies.
The poll was commissioned by top tie and scarf maker Peckham Rye, and its creative director Matt Start revealed that he found Grant deserved the title.
Cary Grant is a worthy winner, Daily Star quoted Start as saying.
His film North by Northwest shows a stunning scene when he is walking along the side of a train in a light blue suit, white shirt and tie as he puts his sunglasses on.
That look, even though it was first seen back in 1959, spawned so many copycat looks and fashion wise is still an iconic movie scene.
David Beckham should be delighted to come second in the list. He always reinvents his look and carries everything off really well, he said.
The founding editor of online style magazine fashion156.com, Guy Hipwell, was not at all surprised that Grant had landed the number one slot.
That iconic late 1950s-early 1960s sharply-tailored look will always be in style, he added.
The Top 20 male icons, as per the poll is:
1. Cary Grant
2. David Beckham
3. Johnny Depp
4. Steve McQueen
5. Sean Connery
6. Brad Pitt
7. James Dean
8. Frank Sinatra
9. Elvis Presley
10. Justin Timberlake
11. Samuel L Jackson
12. Daniel Craig
13. Mark Ronson
14. Will Smith
15. Al Pacino
16. Dean Martin
17. Orlando Bloom
18. George Clooney
19. Jude Law
20. David Bowie (ANI)
- Iglesias loves Beckham's style - Jul 14, 2011
- Jude Law voted 'Most Stylist Celeb Dad' - Jun 17, 2010
- Orlando Bloom named most stylish dad - Jun 15, 2011
- Renner excited to play Steve McQueen in biopic - Aug 14, 2012
- Robert Pattinson named sexiest man - Oct 05, 2011
- Jackman voted sexiest sci-fi star - Sep 02, 2011
- West wants to build amusement park - May 30, 2012
- Helen Mirren had best body in showbiz - Aug 02, 2011
- David Beckham to launch new fragrance - Jul 23, 2011
- Butler named Most Attractive Celeb - Apr 15, 2010
- Kate Middleton named High Street fashion queen - Sep 14, 2011
- Poll reveals that Princess Diana is the favorite royal in UK - Aug 31, 2011
- Victoria bans David from buying car door - Apr 04, 2012
- Brad Pitt voted most admired man in showbiz - Aug 02, 2010
- Princess Diana's wedding dress voted the best ever - Mar 29, 2011
Tags: blue suit, british actor, caribbean star, cary grant, daniel craig, david beckham, elvis presley, frank sinatra, hipwell, james dean, male style, north by northwest, pirates of the caribbean, ronso, screen legend, shirt and tie, steve mcqueen, style icon, style magazine, worthy winner