Carrying knife in Britain rarely invites jailSeptember 2nd, 2011 - 7:40 pm ICT by IANS
London, Sep 2 (IANS) Less than one in five thugs, who are caught carrying knives, faces jail term in Britain, official figures have revealed.
With just 19.7 percent being locked up, the figures make a mockery of the Tories? pre-election pledge that anyone carrying a knife should be jailed, the Daily Express reported, adding that this is the first time that the proportion has dropped below 20 percent since 2008.
The number of those jailed has plummeted from almost 1,600 three years ago to 1,024 of the 5,190 offenders sentenced between April and June this year.
This is despite guidelines that the starting point for the lowest level of knife possession should be 12 weeks in prison. Most of those jailed were given three months or less.
Home Secretary Theresa May earlier this year had warned thugs caught in public with knives: ?Expect to go jail?.
Meanwhile, Nick de Bois, a Tory MP for Enfield North, one of the areas hit badly by last month’s riots, is tabling an amendment to Justice Secretary Ken Clarke’s sentencing bill.
It calls for a mandatory prison term for knife crime to apply to under-18s as well as adults.
He said: “If you use a knife to threaten or endanger a life, you will go to prison regardless of age.”
- Tory minister's plans to ask UK taxpapers to fund comedy workshops, prisoners' parties slammed - Jul 23, 2010
- Norway's killer could be jailed only 21 years - Jul 25, 2011
- Dangerous prisoners in Britain to become hairdressers - Jan 27, 2011
- Jailed rapist released early assaults again within weeks - Jun 08, 2011
- UK man with 578 convictions never jailed by criminal justice system - Jan 29, 2011
- Judge says jail is 'too easy' for crook - Oct 02, 2011
- Nearly 60,000, including MPs and MLAs, convicted in Bihar in 5 years - Apr 11, 2011
- Now in UK, one in three sex offenders, muggers will get right to vote - Jan 06, 2011
- Somalia jails six foreigners for carrying ransom money - Jun 19, 2011
- Harsh sentence demanded for mogul in kids' pornogrpahy case - Apr 10, 2011
- British police hunt for 30,000 rioters - Aug 21, 2011
- Judge finds burglars 'courageous', lets one walk free - Sep 06, 2012
- Britain fears issuing passports to terror suspects - Apr 06, 2012
- Soni appeals for Sarabjit's release - Jun 27, 2012
- Prisoners in Britain will be forced to work - Oct 05, 2010
Tags: 18s, adults, daily express, election pledge, enfield, faces, home secretary, jail term, ken clarke, knives, london, mockery, possession, prison term, proportion, riots, theresa may, three months, tories, tory mp