Carrots can help prevent breast cancerApril 6th, 2011 - 9:48 pm ICT by IANS
London, April 6 (IANS) Carrots can halt the progression of breast cancer in the early stages of the disease, a study says.
The retinoic acid, which is contained in carrot, also rejuvenates the skin and a weak version of it is used in anti-wrinkle face creams, express.co.uk reported.
The study has shown that retinoic acid reverses early changes in cells that lead to breast cancer. The chemical affects cell growth, proliferation and survival.
The results were presented Tuesday at the annual meeting of the American Association for Cancer Research in Orlando, Florida. The study suggests that it can halt cancer progression early on, but not at later stages.
US scientists focused on the key role played by a gene that activates retinoic acid’s anti-cancer properties.
“There appears to be no way to revert the tumours with retinoic acid when they become too advanced,” said study leader Sandra Fernandez.
But certain experimental drugs may increase the effectiveness of retinoic acid in later stages of breast cancer, she added. These drugs were already being used to manage a certain type of leukaemia.
- Drug counters bone-damaging effects of breast cancer medication - Oct 10, 2011
- Trio of drugs may help fight 'triple negative' breast cancer - Dec 11, 2010
- Silencing 'hedgehog' molecule halts cancer - Jun 06, 2011
- New study focuses on cause of celiac disease - Feb 10, 2011
- Fatty acids can fight cancer spread - Apr 11, 2012
- Overabundance of protein promotes growth of breast cancer stem cells - Feb 16, 2011
- New way to halt expansion of breast cancer stem cells discovered - Nov 24, 2010
- Key culprit in breast cancer metastasis identified - Feb 17, 2011
- Drug used to treat asthma 'prevents spread of breast cancer' - Nov 04, 2010
- Life work culminates in testing of cancer therapy in humans - Mar 24, 2011
- This drug can reduce breast cancer recurrence - Sep 27, 2011
- Novel method might help block for tumour growth - Mar 15, 2011
- Latin brew bumps off colon cancer cells - Jan 24, 2012
- Scientists uncover mechanism that may help fight birth defects - Jun 10, 2009
- Osteoporosis drug may benefit patients with oral cancer - Dec 14, 2010
Tags: annual meeting, anti wrinkle face creams, breast cancer, cancer progression, cancer properties, cancer research, carrot, carrots, cells, express co, key role, orlando florida, proliferation, retinoic acid, sandra fernandez, scientists, stages of breast cancer, study leader, study suggests that, tumours