Caroline Kennedy may become US’’s London envoyJanuary 23rd, 2009 - 1:25 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Jan. 23 (ANI): Former US President John F Kennedys daughter Caroline Kennedy could follow in her grandfather Joseph P Kennedy’’s footsteps and become ambassador to Britain. Kennedy, it may be recalled, removed herself from the New York Senate race for personal reasons.
Kennedy, 51, the only daughter of the assassinated president, would have become the latest in a continuous line of Kennedys in the Senate stretching back to her father’’s first Senate win in 1952. Her uncle Robert Kennedy once held a Senate seat from New York and her other uncle, Edward Kennedy, now suffering from a brain tumour, is a longstanding senator from Massachusetts. Brought up in the public eye, she shunned the spotlight until she stepped out in the presidential election campaign to offer decisive support for Barack Obama in the Democratic primaries. Her political debut bombed with the public, however, when she refused to make financial disclosure and mumbled during press interviews, saying you know 142 times in a single interview with The New York Times.
An aide said yesterday that she withdrew because of a personal matter that was not related to the illness of Senator
Now that her Senate ambitions have come to an end, attention returned to the earlier prospect of her pursuing an ambassadorial career.
During the campaign Ms Kennedy was mooted as a possible US ambassador to Britain or to the United Nations.
The UN job has been filled but she could still be named to the Court of St James’’s.
Her grandfather, Joseph Kennedy, served as US Ambassador to Britain from 1938 until 1940. He is remembered for his strong support for the policy of appeasing Hitler.
He stepped down after telling The Boston Globe in November 1940 that Democracy is finished in England. It may be here. (ANI)
- Jackie Kennedy's interviews of 1964 to be released - Apr 14, 2010
- Hyperion to publish Jackie Kennedy's interviews that were recorded in 1964 - Apr 17, 2010
- Jackie Kennedy Interviews To Be Released - Apr 14, 2010
- Only 2 Kennedy siblings left on earth - Aug 12, 2009
- 20-1 odds against Caroline Kennedy getting Hillary Clintons NY Senate seat - Dec 08, 2008
- Vicki Kennedy involved in a family dispute - Aug 06, 2012
- Hyperion To Publish Jackie Kennedy's Interviews - Apr 17, 2010
- Caroline Kennedy interested in Hillary Clinton''s Senate seat - Dec 06, 2008
- Giuliani Daughter Caught Shoplifting On Camera - Aug 07, 2010
- Peace Corps Founder, Sargent Shriver Dies At 95 - Jan 19, 2011
- Rachel Weisz to play Jackie Kennedy in a new JFK movie - Apr 16, 2010
- Secret Jackie Kennedy interviews to be revealed - Apr 14, 2010
- Jackie Kennedy's audiotapes reveal her unknown side - Sep 13, 2011
- Caroline Kennedy appointment as US ambassador blocked by Vatican - Apr 11, 2009
- Ackerman says Caroline Kennedy no more qualified than JLo to be New York Senator - Dec 11, 2008
Tags: barack obama, boston globe, brain tumour, caroline kennedy, continuous line, democratic primaries, edward kennedy, financial disclosure, grandfather joseph, john f kennedys, joseph kennedy, joseph p kennedy, ms kennedy, new york senate, new york senate race, personal matter, political debut, presidential election campaign, robert kennedy, senate seat