Caretaker setup under Musharraf unacceptable: APDMNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:38 am ICT by admin
“The only way to ensure free and fair elections in Pakistan is an independent setup - acceptable to all the parties represented in the parliament - under the Senate chairman (as acting president) to conduct the elections,” the Daily Times quoted Muttahida Majlis-e-Amal (MMA) Deputy Secretary General Liaquat Baloch, as saying.
Baloch ruled out that his coalition is participating in the consultation process for the formation of the interim government.
Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) chairman Raja Zafarul Haq said their consistent demand is setting up of a neutral and independent caretaker government, but it was not possible under Musharraf.
When asked whether they would boycott the elections held under Musharraf, they said the opposition parties would take a unanimous decision from the APDM platform.
According to a media report, Musharraf will consult former Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto, Jamiat Ulema-i-Islam (JUI) chief Maulana Fazlur Rehman and Pakistan Muslim League (Quaid-e-Azam) president Chaudhry Shujaat Hussein before finalising the set up for the interim government in the country.
The General will finalize the interim government by November 10 after the Supreme Court ruling regarding his eligibility as President.
Benazir has handed over the names of her three opponents on October 16, two days before her homecoming, to Musharraf. The names include Director Intelligence Bureau Ijaz Shah and Punjab Government official Hasan Waseem Afzal. (ANI)
- Musharraf delays return to Pakistan - Jan 19, 2012
- Pakistan court issues arrest warrant for Musharraf - Feb 13, 2011
- Don't come back, ISI chief told Musharraf in Dubai - Jan 24, 2012
- Don't put yourself in the line of fire, Daily tells Musharraf - Apr 19, 2011
- Independent Election Commission sought in Pakistan - Jan 08, 2012
- Why doesn't judiciary act against Musharraf in Benazir case: Zardari - Jan 08, 2012
- Musharraf's launch of party draws hostile response - Oct 02, 2010
- Benazir was promised she would be PM: Forensic report - Feb 09, 2011
- Pakistan remembers Benazir Bhutto - Dec 27, 2011
- Pak spy agencies involved in over one thousand murder cases in Balochistan: Report - Mar 22, 2011
- Baloch leader announces Rs.1 bn to kill Musharraf - Oct 10, 2010
- Baloch leader announces Rs.1 bn to kill Musharraf (Lead, Correcting figure) - Oct 10, 2010
- Musharraf smoked cigars and had coffee with Zardari even after Benazir's assassination - Feb 17, 2011
- Pak not pursuing Musharraf's extradition from UK: Rehman Malik - Feb 23, 2011
- Pakistan to tap Interpol for Musharraf's arrest - Feb 25, 2012
Tags: baloch, benazir bhutto, caretaker government, consistent demand, elections, independent set, intelligence bureau, interim government, jamiat, musharraf, opposition parties, pakistan muslim league, president, punjab government, quaid e azam, senate chairman, unanimous decision, waseem