Car thieves beaten, set ablaze by mobFebruary 17th, 2009 - 7:41 pm ICT by IANS
Guatemala City, Feb 17 (IANS) Six suspected members of a car-theft gang were beaten and set on fire by an enraged mob in Guatemala’s Chimaltenango province, EFE reported Tuesday.
The five men and one woman, who suffered severe burns, have been admitted to a hospital.
Officials said residents in San Martin Jilotepeque town hit the criminals with sticks and stones, before setting them ablaze.
The police said the six members of the car-theft gang were trying to escape the town in a stolen vehicle when the residents caught them.
The local residents have been patrolling the neighbourhood by themselves due to inadequate security.
- Two kidnappers lynched in Mexico - Feb 12, 2012
- Thieves target reporters covering Guatemalan president - Mar 17, 2012
- Three thieves burnt alive by Peru mob - Mar 21, 2011
- Haryana police busts gang of highway robbers - May 05, 2012
- 14 dead in Guatemala accident - Jan 09, 2011
- Two car thieves held, eight vehicles recovered - Apr 23, 2011
- Mob in Guatemala kills man who murdered two kids - Sep 13, 2012
- Man wanted in 13 criminal cases arrested - Jul 13, 2012
- Tropical storm Agatha kills 40 in Guatemala (Lead) - May 31, 2010
- Nine charred bodies found in Mexico - Nov 24, 2011
- Two charged with murder slain in Bolivia by mob - Aug 16, 2012
- Eight die in Guatemala helicopter crash - Feb 29, 2012
- Argentine woman set ablaze by boyfriend dies - Feb 22, 2012
- Guatemalan cop accused of holding teen as sex slave - Aug 18, 2012
- Toddler left on slain father's body - Mar 20, 2012
Tags: car theft, car thieves, chimaltenango, city feb, criminals, efe, five men, guatemala city, hospital officials, inadequate security, mob, neighbourhood, san martin jilotepeque, severe burns, sticks and stones