Car number plate 1234 sold for $46,000 in Hong KongNovember 3rd, 2008 - 2:33 pm ICT by IANS
Hong Kong, Nov 3 (DPA) Wealthy Hong Kong may be teetering on the brink of a recession but a prestige car number plate can still fetch more than $46,000, auctioneers said Monday.The car registration number 1234 fetched 360,000 Hong Kong dollars ($46,445) at Sunday’s government auction where a total of 280 unusual plates raised just short of $345,000.
However, of the 280 plates put up for auction, some 30 failed to reach their reserve price in a sign that the economic downturn is beginning to bite in one of the world’s richest cities.
Hong Kong shares have been among the worst hit in the recent downturn, with the Hang Seng Index shedding more than 25 percent of its value in the past six weeks alone.
- James Bond's Aston Martin sold for 2.53 million pounds - Oct 28, 2010
- John Lennon's 'Abbey Road' suit sells $46K - Jan 04, 2011
- China tea costs more than gold! - Mar 23, 2012
- John Lennon's suit from Abbey Road cover to be auctioned - Jan 02, 2011
- Over 100,000 cigarettes seized in Hong Kong - Aug 15, 2012
- Raza, Husain, Souza top grossers in online art auction - Sep 14, 2010
- Bank launches world's first $150 note in Hong Kong - Sep 09, 2009
- Forbes names Baidu founder Robin Li Chinese mainland's richest - Apr 29, 2011
- Bengal to recruit 46,000 teachers: Mamata - Jun 09, 2011
- Licence plates costlier than cars in China - Feb 20, 2012
- Giant Tuna Fetches Record $396K in Tokyo - Jan 06, 2011
- China's rich spend $7 bn during spring holidays - Feb 02, 2012
- Meaty parts please, says Sandhya Mridul - Jun 16, 2012
- Chinese stamp sells for record $332,000 - Sep 19, 2009
- Market for antiquities still strong in India: Neville Tuli (With Images) - Jan 30, 2012