Car fire, more evidence of hate crime in Oz, claim Indian studentsJune 8th, 2009 - 11:55 am ICT by ANI
Melbourne, June 8 (ANI):The Indian students community in Australia is living under constant fear after a car was set alight on Sunday, which they term as an another example of hate crime.
Police say the car was deliberately lit in a common car parking area for a block of units in Kelvin Grove, Springvale, which houses many Indian students.
Spokesman for the Federation of Indian Students in Australia, Gautam Gupta, said drug dealers in the area threatened students on Saturday before the car was destroyed around 1a.m. on Sunday morning.
Two other vehicles, which were parked on either side of the burning car, were damaged.
“One of the residents of that block of flats had been asked for money by drug dealers and he had to seal himself inside his apartment. The students there are living in fear, this was a hate crime,” The Herald Sun quoted Gupta, as saying.
He said shopkeepers and other residents have also been threatened by groups of under-aged youth.
Police said the torched car’s 30-year-old owner was asleep when he awoke to the sound of his car horn and looked out to see his Toyota Camry in flames.
The arson attack comes after a series of bashings of Indian students around Melbourne that have sparked widespread community debate. (ANI)
- Indian students car torched in latest Australian attack - Jun 07, 2009
- Oz hands over Indian-origin man's body to his wife - Apr 25, 2011
- Fellow Indians held in Australia over gruesome slaying - Jan 29, 2010
- Brothel business booming Down Under - Mar 14, 2011
- Attacks could vitiate ties, India tells Australia (Third Lead) - Jan 05, 2010
- Indians staying off Australian streets over fear of racial attacks - Jan 09, 2010
- Australian teen gets 13-year jail for killing Indian student - Dec 22, 2011
- Girls as young as 9 selling sex for drugs, says Oz politician - Feb 24, 2011
- Warne, Ponting urged to speak against violence on Indian students - Jan 04, 2010
- 450 held as riots singe Britain (Third Lead) - Aug 09, 2011
- Australia assures India about security of Indian students - Jan 20, 2011
- Spain busts gang that ripped off drug dealers - May 11, 2012
- FBI joins probe into shooting of Sikhs in US - Mar 08, 2011
- Cameron to rioters: You will feel full force of law - Aug 09, 2011
- Reward offered in killing of two Sikhs in US - Apr 16, 2011
Tags: arson attack, burning car, camry, car fire, car horn, car parking, community debate, constant fear, crime police, flames, gautam gupta, hate crime, herald sun, indian students, living in fear, other vehicles, springvale, students community, sunday morning, toyota camry