Car bomb blast kills 17 in Syria (Lead)September 27th, 2008 - 4:02 pm ICT by IANS
Damascus, Sep 27 (DPA) At least 17 people were killed and more than a dozen injured when a car bomb exploded in Syrian capital Damascus Saturday, national news agency SANA reported.The bomb planted in a car went off near a security-forces facility on the outskirts of the busy Sayyida Zainab district.
The explosion killed 17 civilians and injured 14 others who were shifted to nearby hospitals, the news agency said.
The Sayyida Zainab mosque, dedicated to a granddaughter of the Prophet Mohammed, is located near the blast site and is visited by Shia pilgrims, many of whom travel to Syria from Iran.
In recent years, many Shia refugees from Iraq have settled near the mosque, which is close to the road to the city’s international airport.
The last major blast in Damascus occurred in February, when Hezbollah commander Imad Mughniyah was killed. The Lebanese militant had been sought by the US as a dangerous terrorist.
- Two school kids killed in Syria bombing - Jul 15, 2012
- 15 killed in Syria car bombing - Sep 02, 2012
- Car bomb blast kills 17 in Syria - Sep 27, 2008
- Syria was shocked at top Hezbollah operative's assassination two yrs back: Wikileaks - Dec 08, 2010
- Five Killed, many injured in Syria blast - Sep 04, 2012
- Police guarding Lebanese envoy's house in Syria killed - Sep 05, 2012
- Car bomb rocks Damascus suburb, hits peace deal - Apr 25, 2012
- Syria releases 225 detainees - Sep 01, 2012
- Three killed in Syrian car blast - Mar 19, 2012
- Seven killed in twin Syrian blasts - Apr 05, 2012
- Blast hits crowded bus in Syria - Dec 03, 2009
- Twin blasts kill 12 at Syria funeral - Aug 29, 2012
- Thousands of Syrians rally in support of Assad - Nov 19, 2011
- Car bomb blast near UN hotel in Syria - Aug 15, 2012
- Terrorist leader killed in Syria - Aug 13, 2012