Captured terrorist Kasab taken for identification paradeDecember 27th, 2008 - 6:15 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Dec 27 (IANS) Captured terrorist Mohammed Ajmal Amir, alias Kasab, was shifted Saturday to the fortified Arthur Road Jail in south Mumbai for an identification parade in connection with the Nov 26 terror attacks, a police official said.Kasab would be identified by at least 40 eyewitnesses, including policeman Arun Jadhav who was travelling in the police jeep that was hijacked early Nov 27 morning by the terrorists, who attacked the financial and entertainment capital of India.
Owing to security concerns, only a few eyewitnesses were called to the jail Saturday while the remaining were expected to be summoned Sunday, according to the official.
Kasab will be identified in connection with three cases that are being investigated - the killings at Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (CST), the encounter at Girgaum Chowpatty and hijacking of the police and private vehicles.
Kasab was shifted from the high-security lock-up to the “Anda” Cell (Oval, egg-shaped cell), deep inside the Arthur Road Jail, around 3 a.m. where he is expected to remain till Monday. Kasab is under police custody till Jan 6.
The “Anda” Cell is the same where the notorious gangster Abu Salem had been lodged several times after he was deported from Spain three years ago.
Kasab and his associate Ismail Khan had allegedly hijacked the police vehicle but it broke down at Marine Drive. Then, they hijacked a Skoda, driven by S.R. Arasa, who would also be present at the identification parade in the jail premises, the official said.
The police shot down Khan and captured Kasab when they made an aborted attempt to break a police blockade near the Girgaum Chowpatty Beach that morning.
- From Colaba to Chowpatty - retracing Kasab's footsteps on 26/11 - May 03, 2010
- Timeline of Mumbai terror attacks trial - May 02, 2010
- Timeline in 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks trial - Mar 31, 2010
- Kasab continues to be in denial mode over 26/11 - Dec 21, 2009
- Nov 26, 2008 - May 3, 2010: timeline of 26/11 trial - May 03, 2010
- Ten terrorists who held Mumbai to ransom - Aug 29, 2012
- Timeline of case against Kasab - Aug 29, 2012
- Kasab continues to be in denial mode for third day - Dec 22, 2009
- 'Expensive' ITBP discarded, Maharashtra to guard Kasab (Lead) - May 25, 2011
- Judgement Day for 26/11 terrorist (Lead) - May 02, 2010
- 26/11 terror attack: Mumbai Court to pronounce verdict tomorrow - May 02, 2010
- Mumbai terrorist's fate to be sealed Monday - May 02, 2010
- Bust to honour cop who caught Kasab alive - May 30, 2011
- Bangalore, Pune blasts accused murdered in jail (Lead) - Jun 08, 2012
- 26/11: India still awaits Pakistan's decisive action (Roundup) - Nov 26, 2011