Captured Mumbai terrorist not to be presented in courtDecember 11th, 2008 - 11:57 am ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Dec 11 (IANS) Mohammed Ajmal Amir alias Kasab, the lone terrorist captured during the Nov 26 attack in Mumbai, will not be presented before a court due to security reasons, a police official said Thursday.Amir was to be brought before a magistrate in a south Mumbai court for remand Thursday morning, but the police have decided against taking him out of the lock-up, Joint Police Commissioner (Crime) Rakesh Maria told IANS.
“Apart from security reasons, the media publicity was also taken into consideration before deciding on this,” Maria said.
A magistrate will now go to the crime branch lock-up located inside the Mumbai police headquarters, which is only one kilometre from the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (CST) - one of the several prominent places where Amir and nine other terrorists struck on the night of Nov 26.
Amir’s associates - Bada Abdul Rehaman, Abu Ali, Abu Soheb, Umar, Abdul Rehaman Chhota, Fahad Ullah, Ismail Khan, Nasir alias Abu Umer and Babar Imaran alias Abu Akasha - were killed at different locations during the 60-hour commando operation against them. At least 179 people were killed in the terror attacks.
- Police custody of captured Mumbai terrorist extended - Dec 24, 2008
- Terrorist remanded to Mumbai Police custody till Dec 24 (Lead) - Dec 11, 2008
- All terrorists in Mumbai attack identified - Dec 09, 2008
- Ten terrorists who held Mumbai to ransom - Aug 29, 2012
- Bodies of nine 26/11 terrorists buried in January (Second Lead) - Apr 06, 2010
- Captured terrorist to be taken to Mumbai court Thursday - Dec 10, 2008
- No Urdu copies of chargesheet for Mumbai terror accused - Mar 09, 2009
- First charges filed in 26/11 Mumbai attacks (Second Lead) - Feb 25, 2009
- Mumbai Police to dispose off RDX after 26/11 verdict - Apr 29, 2010
- No Urdu copies of chargesheet to 26/11 accused, hearing on March 23 (Lead) - Mar 09, 2009
- Eighth suspect nabbed in journalist J. Dey's murder - Jul 03, 2011
- Protesting widows, kin of 26/11 victims detained - Nov 26, 2011
- Jundal records statement before magistrate - Aug 12, 2012
- Salem injuries self-inflicted, Dossa tells cops - Jul 28, 2010
- Abu Jundal shunted to police custody till July 31 - Jul 21, 2012