Captain blamed for Italy cruise ship accidentJanuary 17th, 2012 - 12:46 pm ICT by IANS
Rome, Jan 17 (IANS/AKI) The head of the company that owns the cruise ship involved in a deadly accident off Italy’s Tuscan coast has blamed the captain for the disaster.
“The procedures and strict training and rules that were given were not respected,” said Pier Luigi Foschi, chairman of the Costa Crociere company, at a press conference Monday.
Captain Francesco Schettino is accused of sailing off course, causing the ship with its more than 4,000 passengers to run aground on a reef off Giglio island in western Italy.
At least six people have died in the accident last Friday. About 130 Indians aboard the ship have been saved.
Schettino has been arrested and accused of manslaughter, abandoning the ship and causing the accident.
“It was Captain Schettino’s will and initiative and against our written and certified rules,” Foschi said, adding the company will furnish the jailed Schettino with legal representation.
Foschi said his company was an “injured party” and it was too early to say if the ship could be saved and returned to service.
Italian officials have temporarily called off search and rescue efforts citing weather and concern that the ship might slip off the rocks where it is resting.
India has set up a control room in both New Delhi and in its mission in Italy to help families find out about their relatives who were aboard the luxury liner.
- Concordia captain must stay under house arrest: Court - Apr 12, 2012
- Italy's cruise ship captain 'was like a Ferrari driver' - Jan 18, 2012
- Italian cruise ship captain detained - Jan 15, 2012
- Five more bodies found on wrecked Italian ship - Jan 18, 2012
- Ship's sinking: Captain refused to coordinate evacuation (Lead) - Jan 18, 2012
- Italian cruise ship may cause environmental disaster - Jan 19, 2012
- 130 Indians saved from Italian shipwreck, control room set up - Jan 16, 2012
- Four bodies found aboard sunken ship - Feb 23, 2012
- Italy cruise ship survivors to get compensation - Jan 27, 2012
- Rescuers blast holes in Italian cruise liner - Jan 17, 2012
- Eight more bodies found after Italy ship disaster (Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- One Indian crew member missing in Italian ship capsize - Jan 16, 2012
- Italian cruise tragedy: 17 Indians return, others on way - Jan 19, 2012
- Italy shipwreck: 23 Indian survivors return to Mumbai - Jan 20, 2012
- Toll in cruise ship accident off Italy rises to eight (Lead) - Jan 14, 2012
Tags: cruise ship accident, deadly accident, giglio island, indians, injured party, italian officials, last friday, legal representation, luxury liner, manslaughter, New Delhi, pier luigi, reef, rescue efforts, sailing, schettino, search and rescue, tuscan coast, weather, western italy