Cantona slams French team over ‘boring’ styleJune 29th, 2008 - 5:19 pm ICT by IANS
Vienna, June 29 (Xinhua) Former French soccer star Eric Cantona said the French team had played “boring” football at Euro 2008. Cantona, who scored 20 goals in 45 appearances for France from 1987 to 1995, said the French team played “boring” football ever since winning the 1998 World Cup.
“What I see from the France team is everything I hate in football,” said Cantona. “With France having won a World Cup by playing a boring game, we came away thinking that it was impossible to play any other way.”
“But nothing says they wouldn’t have won by playing attractive football.”
The French were eliminated in group stage of Euro 2008 after one draw and two losses. And Raymond Domenech is expected to be sacked as France coach after four years’ reign.
Didier Deschamps is the overwhelming favourite to take over and has received support from former French stars Christophe Dugarry, Marcel Desailly and Christian Karembeu.
But Cantona said he does not believe the appointment of Deschamps will cure France’s ills.
“On the footballing side of things, to name Deschamps would be, in my opinion, a continuation of Domenech,” Cantona said.
- Deschamps is new France coach - Jul 09, 2012
- Domenech heads Kenya's list for foreign football coach - Aug 17, 2012
- Didier Deschamps quits Marseille - Jul 02, 2012
- France leave Giroud out for World Cup qualifier - Sep 07, 2012
- France coach Laurent Blanc resigns - Jul 01, 2012
- French woes escalate as players boycott training - Jun 20, 2010
- France putting past behind them (Group A team profile) - May 26, 2010
- France coach Blanc to suspends entire World Cup squad - Jul 23, 2010
- French football federation head resigns after World Cup fiasco - Jun 28, 2010
- Carla Bruni-Sarkozy is France's most 'irritating' celebrity (Lead) - Dec 31, 2010
- Blanc should stay with France: Benzema - Jun 24, 2012
- France must stay optimisic for Spain test: Blanc - Jun 20, 2012
- French World Cup winning coach says Domenech must go - Nov 27, 2009
- Zidane criticises French players for not playing as a team - Jun 14, 2010
- Henry attacks French coach Domenech for boring training session - Sep 08, 2009
Tags: boring game, christian karembeu, continuation, didier deschamps, eric cantona, euro 2008, france coach, france team, french soccer, french stars, french team, group stage, ills, june 29, marcel desailly, raymond domenech, soccer star, vienna, world cup, xinhua