Canadian soldier killed in Afghan bomb blastApril 14th, 2009 - 4:28 pm ICT by IANS
Kabul, April 14 (DPA) A female Canadian soldier serving with NATO forces was killed and four others were wounded by a roadside bomb in the volatile southern region, officials said Tuesday.
Trooper Karine Blais was killed and four of her comrades were wounded when their armoured vehicle was blown up in Shah Walikot district of southern Kandahar province Monday afternoon, the Canadian defence ministry said in a statement.
“The injured soldiers were evacuated by helicopter to the Multinational Medical Unit at Kandahar airfield,” the statement said, but did not elaborate on their condition.
The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack in a statement posted at their website, saying the tank was blown up by remote control in the Chama area of the district.
The statement said that NATO helicopters evacuated the victims, but the destroyed tank was still in the area.
Blais was the second female soldier to die in Afghanistan since the fall of Taliban regime in late 2001. A total of 116 Canadian soldiers have been killed in Afghanistan in the past seven years.
Canada has more than 2,500 soldiers as part of some 60,000-strong NATO-led troops deployed to Afghanistan from 42 nations. The Canadian forces are stationed in the restive province of Kandahar.
- NATO soldier killed in Afghan attack - Jan 22, 2012
- NATO soldier killed in Taliban attack - Apr 28, 2012
- 11 killed in NATO chopper crash in Afghanistan - Aug 16, 2012
- Afghan police kill 17 Taliban militants - Jul 31, 2012
- 20 Taliban militants killed - Jun 24, 2012
- 45 Taliban, 2 soldiers, 5 guards killed in Afghanistan - May 15, 2010
- NATO soldier killed in Afghan blast - Sep 09, 2012
- 38 soldiers die in Afghan chopper crash (Lead) - Aug 06, 2011
- Canadian soldier dies in Afghanistan training accident - Feb 13, 2010
- Roadside bomb kills four in Afghanistan - Feb 20, 2012
- 16 civilians killed in chopper crash in Afghanistan - Jul 19, 2009
- Two soldiers killed in NATO chopper crash - Jun 06, 2012
- 33 insurgents killed in Afghanistan - Aug 26, 2012
- Taliban says it's ready to face offensive as bombers attack base - Apr 28, 2010
- 10 militants killed in Afghanistan - Aug 18, 2010
Tags: armoured vehicle, blais, bomb blast, canadian defence, canadian forces, canadian soldier, canadian soldiers, comrades, defence ministry, female soldier, helicopters, kabul, kandahar airfield, kandahar province, karine, medical unit, monday afternoon, nato forces, roadside bomb, southern kandahar