Canadian prostitutes getting trained for 2010 OlympicsMay 28th, 2009 - 2:21 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, May 28 (ANI): Sex workers in Canada are getting trained for the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver.
They are not practicing to contest in the sports events, but are just refining their media-savvy skills.
According to media reports, a Canadian agency that provides support for Vancouver’s sex workers is working up a brochure to train them on how to handle requests for photographs and interviews.
“We just want our members to feel safe. Media attention to the area can be a little less than compassionate and we don’t want them to feel like animals in a zoo,” The CNBC quoted Kerry Porth, a spokeswoman for the Prostitution Alternatives Counselling and Education Society (PACE), as telling the Canadian Press.
Tracy Quan, a former call girl and author of ‘Diary of a Jetsetting Call Girl’, said that sex workers should really think twice about doing a media interview.
She has claimed that women working in the industry need to know what they want from the interview, and be ready to bail if it’s not going the way they want it to.
“I’m not even sure why someone working in the sex industry would want to talk to the press. What would be their incentive?” asked Quan.
It’s not like they’re selling cars or running a bank, where they need the press.
The PACE brochure will inform the Canadian sex workers of their rights, such as where they can be photographed, and provide them with some tips on how to deal with aggressive media types, including letting them know that it’s OK to refuse an interview.
However, a group of prostitute activists is trying to get that changed so they can open a brothel in time for the Olympics, which could offer these women a safe place to conduct business during the games. (ANI)
- Canadian prostitution laws struck down - Sep 29, 2010
- Prostitutes give a thumbs-down to French brothel opening proposal - May 13, 2010
- French minister seeks end of prostitution in Europe - Jun 23, 2012
- Delhi sex workers challenge eviction order in court - Jul 26, 2012
- Report says students being recruited in Victoria's Asian-dominated prostitution racket - Jan 21, 2010
- Illegal brothels sprouting across Australia - Nov 15, 2010
- Peruvian sex workers protest against foreigners in business - Aug 04, 2010
- Prostitution racket busted in Spain - Feb 14, 2011
- Fiji's massage parlours operating as brothels - Feb 28, 2011
- SA prostitutes blast cops for scaring World Cup customers away - Jun 21, 2010
- 'Terrorists operating suicidal networks from Pak brothels' - Apr 11, 2011
- Some Sri Lankan TV actresses in prostitution ring - Jul 26, 2011
- Bombay's bar girls are back - in new reality tale - Nov 04, 2010
- Spanish prostitutes to wear fluorescent vests for safety - Dec 04, 2011
- German city to tax prostitutes - Aug 31, 2011
Tags: 2010 olympics, aggressive media, ani sex, brothel, call girl, canadian sex, cnbc, counselling, education society, media attention, media interview, porth, prostitutes, safe place, selling cars, sex industry, sex workers, spokeswoman, sports events, tracy quan