Canadian jailed for beating his puppy to deathFebruary 3rd, 2011 - 10:49 am ICT by IANS
Toronto, Feb 3 (IANS) A Canadian man has been locked up for six months for beating his puppy to death.A court in Victoria, which is the capital of British Columbia province, Wednesday sentenced 24-year-old Brent Malcolm Connors for beating his dog to death last month.
“I am really sorry for what’s happened. It really affected me. I hope it never happens again to any other animal,” the local Victoria Times Colonist newspaper quoted the accused as telling the judge.
He was arrested Jan 1 after guests at the Traveller’s Inn called police after hearing a dog in pain in a hotel room. When police entered Connors’ room, they found his 12-week-old pit bull seriously beaten.
The puppy was rushed to a veterinary hospital but died from its injuries, which included 10 broken ribs, internal bleeding and a broken jaw, according to the newspaper.
Locking him for six months Wednesday, the judge said, “The Criminal Code makes it clear that the willful infliction of unnecessary pain and suffering on animals violates one of the basic tenants of our society and is deserving of punishment. It is also conduct which most members of our society find repugnant and morally reprehensible.”
After he completes his sentence, Connors will be put on probation for two years. During the probation period, he will have to maintain employment, not possess or consume any non-prescription drugs, complete counselling or treatment as directed, not keep knives, and do 75 hours’ of community work, according to the newspaper.
The judge also ordered the convict not to own animals or birds for 10 years after completion of his jail.
Taking into consideration “the level of brutality directed towards this young dog, I am satisfied that the offender should be prohibited from owning, having the custody or control, or from residing in the same premises as an animal or bird for 10 years,” the judge ordered.
- Britons held for cramming 69 animals in one house - Mar 31, 2012
- British police officer banned over dead dogs - Oct 13, 2011
- Dog gave birth to a kitten? Not a cock and bull story - Jul 21, 2012
- Man admits giving kittens to dog to kill - Jan 25, 2010
- Puppy Bowl Turns Into A Major Success - Feb 07, 2011
- Man jailed for beating dog to death - Aug 17, 2012
- Man kills puppy with hammer - May 04, 2012
- 82 Year Old Sentenced For Organizing Cockfights - Aug 13, 2010
- Drew Barrymore adopts puppy - Feb 03, 2012
- Rooting for the underdog! (Feature) - Sep 25, 2011
- Chris Brown gets praised by judge - Aug 27, 2010
- Moore and Adams adopt new dog - Dec 04, 2010
- It's dog's life -- or is it? - Oct 15, 2011
- Litter of 17 puppies born in Germany - Dec 21, 2010
- Apex court mulling total ban on plastic (Lead) - May 07, 2012
Tags: broken jaw, broken ribs, brutality, canadian man, capital of british columbia, convict, counselling, criminal code, infliction, pain and suffering, pit bull, prescription drugs, probation period, puppy, taking into consideration, times colonist newspaper, unnecessary pain, veterinary hospital, victoria times colonist, victoria times colonist newspaper