Canadian foreign minister visits MyanmarMarch 8th, 2012 - 1:49 pm ICT by IANS
Yangon, March 8 (IANS) Canadian Foreign Minister John Baird arrived in Myanmar Thursday on a one-day official visit.
This is his first visit to the country after a new civilian government was installed in Nay Pyi Taw March 30, 2011, Xinhua reported.
Baird will meet President U Thein Sein, House of Representatives speaker U Shwe Mann, Foreign Minister U Wunna Maung Lwin and Railway Minister U Aung Min in Nay Pyi Taw.
He will fly to Yangon on the same day to meet Aung San Suu Kyi, chairperson of the National League for Democracy (NLD), which will participate in the April 1 parliamentary by-elections.
Canada had downgraded its relations with Myanmar 1988 and imposed economic sanctions. The situation was reversed after the new government took office last year.
- France, Myanmar hold talks - Jan 16, 2012
- French foreign minister visits Myanmar - Jan 15, 2012
- British foreign secretary visits Myanmar - Jan 05, 2012
- Hague praises Myanmar reforms - Jan 06, 2012
- British foreign secretary meets Myanmarese president (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- Clinton arrives in Myanmar for first official visit - Nov 30, 2011
- Myanmar president meets top UN envoy - Feb 15, 2012
- Zardari visits Myanmar - Jan 25, 2012
- Ban arrives in Myanmar - Apr 29, 2012
- Clinton wraps up Myanmar visit - Dec 02, 2011
- Krishna lands in Myanmar capital - Jun 21, 2011
- PM leaves for Myanmar - May 27, 2012
- Myanmar president meets UN chief - Apr 30, 2012
- PM arrives in Myanmar - May 27, 2012
- Myanmar president meets leaders of 14 political parties - Aug 04, 2012
Tags: april 1, aung san suu, aung san suu kyi, chairperson, civilian government, democracy, economic sanctions, elections canada, foreign minister, house of representatives, john baird, maung lwin, minister john, nld, railway minister, san suu kyi, shwe, thein, xinhua, yangon