Canadian couple who won $11.2m lottery donate the money to charityNovember 5th, 2010 - 2:58 pm ICT by ANI
London, Nov 05 (ANI): A Canadian couple, who won a lottery of 11,255,272 million dollars, has given away all the money to charities, friends and hospitals.
According to the Toronto Star, Allen, 75, and 78-year-old Violet Large found the money to be a “big headache”, and after they decided not to go on a spending spree, they donated it all.
“What you’ve never had, you never miss,” the Daily Mail quoted Violet as saying.
The two have been married for 36-years, and when they retired in 1983 they moved from Ontario to Lower Truro, Nova Scotia, for a quieter life.
“We were pretty well set, not millionaires, but comfortable,” Allen said of their financial set-up before the lottery win in July.
At the time Violet was undergoing treatment for cancer and the pair feared being taken advantage of by “crooked people”.
“That money that we won was nothing. We have each other,” he stated.
Hospitals in Truro and Halifax, Nova Scotia, their families, the local fire department, churches and cemeteries, the Red Cross, and the Salvation Army were among the main beneficiaries.
The Larges have not disclosed how much they gave to each organisation but said they are humbled and thankful for the phone calls and letters of gratitude they have received.
“It made us feel good. And there’s so much good being done with that money. We’re the lucky ones. I have no complaints,” Violet added. (ANI)
- 'Unknown child' onboard the Titanic identified - Apr 29, 2011
- Titanic's 'unknown child's' identity finally revealed - Apr 27, 2011
- Violin from Titanic band found - Jan 31, 2012
- Western intelligence shaken by Canada spy leaks - Jul 26, 2012
- Charlotte family - McCauley win the lottery for the third time - Jul 27, 2011
- Lottery winner just wants a new carpet - Jan 25, 2012
- Booze consumption up in Canada - thanks to the women - Dec 31, 2009
- $10 million worth of cocaine seized in Canada - Feb 14, 2010
- Whales too 'can feel and suffer' like humans - Jun 21, 2010
- Over 2,000 poor beneficiaries of Kerala's 'health' lottery - Jul 20, 2012
- Banker nicks over $1 million in Britain - Aug 14, 2012
- US plane makes emergency landing in Canada - Jun 10, 2009
- Canadians tell Queen she's too old to use stairs - Mar 30, 2010
- Groundhog's Prediction Does Little To Soothe Blizzard Hit USA - Feb 03, 2011
- Woman finds winning lottery ticket while cleaning purse - Apr 07, 2011
Tags: 2m, beneficiaries, canadian couple, charities, daily mail, fire department, halifax nova scotia, hospitals, letters of gratitude, lottery, lucky ones, million dollars, millionaires, phone calls, red cross, salvation army, spending spree, toronto star, truro nova scotia, undergoing treatment