Canadian chopper crashes into Atlantic, 16 missing (Lead)March 13th, 2009 - 9:13 am ICT by IANS
Toronto, March 13 (IANS) A Canadian helicopter with 18 people on board plunged into icy Atlantic waters Thursday morning off its Newfoundland coast.
One person was confirmed dead and another one was rescued. The remaining 16 were missing. Four coast guard ships, military helicopters and a plane were searching for survivors of the crash.
The debris was said to be spread over six kilometres in the ocean. The helicopter, Sikorsky S-92, was ferrying the workers to offshore rigs when it developed mechanical problems a little after 9 a.m. Thursday. The pilot sent a distress signal and turned the helicopter towards St John’s, the most eastern port and airport in Canada.
However, it soon crashed and sank into the frigid waters of the Atlantic Ocean, 90 km off St John’s.
The rescuers found two life rafts but they were no survivors. Since all passengers are required to wear a special survival suit which can keep them warm for up to 30 hours in cold waters, rescue teams were scouring the vast area for survivors.
The water temperature in the crash zone was said to be around zero degree Celsius at the time of the crash.
“We will continue to search until there is no chance that any survivors may be located,”said Major Dennis McGuire of the joint rescue co-ordination centre in Halifax city.
- One killed, 16 missing in Canada chopper crash - Mar 13, 2009
- 17 feared dead as copter falls into frigid Atlantic - Mar 13, 2009
- Lebanese families remember loved ones on Titanic - Apr 17, 2012
- Brazil chopper with four onboard disappears - Aug 21, 2011
- Debris of 2009 Air France crash found - Apr 05, 2011
- Two dead in China helicopter crash - Aug 18, 2011
- 200 rescued in Papua New Guinea ferry disaster (Second Lead) - Feb 02, 2012
- Russian tugboat with crewmembers sinks in Laptev Sea - Aug 27, 2010
- 'Unknown child' onboard the Titanic identified - Apr 29, 2011
- Dominican Republic shipwreck toll rises to 16 - Feb 06, 2012
- 27 bodies found after Tanzania ferry capsizes - Jul 19, 2012
- Two U.S. Marines rescued after fighter jet crashes off San Diego, CA - Aug 11, 2011
- 40 Haitian immigrants drown off Cuban coast - Dec 26, 2011
- German Acid tanker capsizes in the Rhine River, two missing - Jan 14, 2011
- 15 missing as ship sinks off Indonesia - Jun 17, 2012
Tags: atlantic ocean, atlantic waters, coast guard ships, cold waters, crash zone, degree celsius, distress signal, frigid waters, life rafts, mechanical problems, military helicopters, newfoundland coast, offshore rigs, ordination, rescuers, s 92, survival suit, thursday morning, toronto march, water temperature