Canadian art gallery displaying Maharaja Ranjit Singh’s throneNovember 22nd, 2010 - 5:50 pm ICT by ANI
Nevada (US), Nov 22 (ANI): Prestigious Art Gallery of Ontario (AGO) in Toronto is displaying Maharaja Ranjit Singh’s famed throne as a part of its exhibition “Maharaja: The Splendour of India’s Royal Courts”, which opened on November 20 and shall continue till April three.
Organized by London’s Victoria and Albert Museum, it features over 200 works including 1934 Rolls Royce Phantom II custom-built for Thakore of Rajkot, Patiala necklace (the largest single commission in the House of Cartier’s history), a silver carriage commissioned by Maharaja of Bhavnagar, royal costumes and traditional dress worn by great kings and queens, etc.
Applauding AGO for exhibiting India focused artifacts, prominent Hindu statesman Rajan Zed, in a statement in Nevada (USA) today, said that art had a long and rich tradition in Hinduism and ancient Sanskrit literature talked about religious paintings of deities on wood or cloth.
Rajan Zed, who is President of Universal Society of Hinduism, urged major art museums of the world, including Musee du Louvre and Musee d’Orsay of Paris, Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, Los Angeles Getty Center, Uffizi Gallery of Florence (Italy), Art Institute of Chicago, Tate Modern of London, Prado Museum of Madrid, National Gallery of Art in Washington DC, etc., to frequently organize Hindu art focused exhibitions, thus sharing the rich Hindu art heritage with the rest of the world.
With a permanent collection of more than 79,450 works of art, AGO is among the most distinguished art museums in North America. Matthew Teitelbaum is Gallery CEO; Tony Gagliano is Board President; while Dr. Stephen Inglis and Anna Jackson are adjunct curator and curator respectively of this exhibition. (ANI)
- New York's famed Rubin Museum to exhibit photos of India-Nepal sadhus - Jan 09, 2011
- American museums offering online Hinduism resources - Nov 13, 2010
- California's Norton Simon Museum exhibiting Vishnu and other Hindu sculptures - Apr 23, 2011
- Famous Los Angeles Getty Museum exhibiting Ganesha and Vishnu - Mar 01, 2011
- Brooklyn Museum in USA to exhibit Lord Vishnu from June - Mar 05, 2011
- National Museum of Korea displaying Hindu god masks - Nov 23, 2010
- 'Temple' inside San Diego Museum - Dec 18, 2010
- Hindus laud Peabody Essex Museum for organizing Hindu gods exhibition - Feb 13, 2011
- Leading New Zealand museum holds exhibition on 'bindi' - Oct 26, 2010
- Philadelphia Museum of Art displaying Radha-Krishna in its miniatures exhibition - Dec 13, 2010
- Major American museums carry Hindu Lord Shiva statues - Feb 20, 2011
- Pennsylvania's Allentown Museum exhibiting Vishnu & other Hindu sculptures - Aug 10, 2010
- World's 1st major exhibition on Hindu Lord Vishnu premiered at Nashville in USA - Feb 21, 2011
- Art Institute of Chicago has developed "Classroom Lesson Plan" on Hindu deity Ganesha - Sep 24, 2010
- New York's famed Metropolitan Museum of Art exhibiting "Scenes from Ramayana" - Sep 20, 2010
Tags: adjunct curator, art gallery of ontario, art heritage, art institute of chicago, canadian art gallery, getty center, hindu art, hindu statesman, metropolitan museum of art, musee d orsay, musee du louvre, national gallery of art, prado museum, rajan zed, religious paintings, rolls royce phantom, tate modern, tony gagliano, uffizi gallery, universal society