Canada to curb illegal migrants before they depart for CanadaAugust 15th, 2010 - 1:58 pm ICT by ANI
Ottawa, Aug 15 (ANI): Canada is vowing to curb illegal immigration by stopping asylum seekers before they set to sail for the country, as border officials in British Columbia scramble to process 490 suspected Tamil migrants who arrived aboard a boat ‘MV Sun Sea’.
“Canadian intelligence should identify these ships before they leave their ports of origin, that, I believe, should be the real focus, rather than trying to deal with them after the fact,” The Globe and Mail News quoted Public Safety Minister Vic Toews, as saying.
On Friday, hours after the Thai-registered Sun Sea entered Canada, Toews said that officials in the country suspect the vessel to be part of a human-smuggling operation run by the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE).
Toews, who contends other human smugglers are watching Canada’s response closely, said, “The evidence … suggests that it is the work of the Tamil Tigers, or LTTE.”
The LTTE, known as the Tamil Tigers, is a banned terrorist organization and separatist group that lost a 26-year civil war in Sri Lanka in 2009.
Meanwhile, Canada has been criticized for concluding that the boat included members of the LTTE.
” Let’s not jump to conclusions without facts. Until we assess each of the refugee claimant’s individual situation under Canadian law, we don’t know whether they are genuine refugees or not. And if they are, their file should be done quickly and accepted so they can stay here. If not, they should be deported,” New Democratic Party (NDP) immigration critic Olivia Chow, said earlier. (ANI)
- Canada criticized for presuming Tamil boatmen to be LTTE activists - Aug 14, 2010
- Canadian Navy boards Tamil refugee ship, some expected to be LTTE members - Aug 13, 2010
- Canada hints LTTE behind human-smuggling ship - Aug 14, 2010
- Canada seizes ship with illegal Tamil migrants - Aug 13, 2010
- Canadian Government to discuss ways to halt Lankan Tamil migrant rush - Sep 14, 2010
- Tamil Tigers' entry into Canada feared - Aug 12, 2010
- Canada to choke off Tamil diaspora, LTTE financial connections - Aug 16, 2010
- Sri Lanka asks Canada to share intelligence on Tamil migrants - Aug 17, 2010
- Over 100 Tamil migrants heading to Canada arrested - Oct 30, 2010
- Sri Lankan Tamil held in Canada for war crimes - Nov 04, 2010
- Canada cracks down on human smugglers - Oct 22, 2010
- Tamil-smuggling ship charged $20 million for passage - Aug 17, 2010
- Canada blacklists Pakistan Taliban - Jul 06, 2011
- Canada to deport Tamil migrant over past links with LTTE - Mar 09, 2011
- Necklace makes Tamil woman suspect in Canada - Dec 22, 2010
Tags: asylum seekers, canada ottawa, canadian intelligence, genuine refugees, globe and mail, human smugglers, human smuggling, illegal immigration, illegal migrants, liberation tigers of tamil eelam, liberation tigers of tamil eelam ltte, mail news, ndp, new democratic party, olivia chow, separatist group, sun sea, tamil tigers, vic toews, war in sri lanka