Canada seizes ship with illegal Tamil migrantsAugust 13th, 2010 - 2:36 pm ICT by IANS
New York/Vancouver, Aug 13 (DPA) Canadian authorities boarded a ship carrying 490 Tamil migrants off the country’s Pacific coast, news reports said.
Vic Towes, Minister for Public Safety, was quoted by the Vancouver Sun newspaper as saying that among the migrants were human traffickers and terror suspects.
“Human-smugglers and human-traffickers are now watching Canada’s response to judge whether or not they can continue to take advantage of us,” Towes said. “We will send a message loud and clear to other criminals: ‘If you do this, then you will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law’.”
Authorities boarded the MV Sun Sea Thursday off British Colombia when it entered the Canadian waters. The ship, which left from Thailand in May, is to be escorted to an army base in Victoria, to be handed to immigration authorities later.
No immediate information was available on the health of the would-be refugees. According to unconfirmed reports, at least one person on board died, and many were suffering from tuberculosis.
The migrants are believed to have fled Sri Lanka following the end of the civil war between the government and Tamil separatists after the killing of rebel Tamil leader Velupillai Prabhakaran.
- Canada to curb illegal migrants before they depart for Canada - Aug 15, 2010
- Canadian Navy boards Tamil refugee ship, some expected to be LTTE members - Aug 13, 2010
- Sri Lankan Tamil held in Canada for war crimes - Nov 04, 2010
- Tamil Tigers' entry into Canada feared - Aug 12, 2010
- Canada hints LTTE behind human-smuggling ship - Aug 14, 2010
- Over 100 Tamil migrants heading to Canada arrested - Oct 30, 2010
- Canada to choke off Tamil diaspora, LTTE financial connections - Aug 16, 2010
- Canada criticized for presuming Tamil boatmen to be LTTE activists - Aug 14, 2010
- Canada wary of third Tamil immigrant ship entering country's waters - Oct 09, 2010
- Canadian Government to discuss ways to halt Lankan Tamil migrant rush - Sep 14, 2010
- Tamil-smuggling ship charged $20 million for passage - Aug 17, 2010
- Canada's first Sikh MP denies supporting Tamil Tigers - Aug 19, 2010
- Vancouver jails vigilant as Tamils set to enter British Columbia - Aug 11, 2010
- Canada monitoring second shipload of Sri Lankan migrants to country - Oct 18, 2010
- Canada cracks down on human smugglers - Oct 22, 2010
Tags: army base, british colombia, canadian authorities, canadian waters, coast news, dpa, human smugglers, human traffickers, immigration authorities, law authorities, migrants, news reports, pacific coast, public safety, s pacific, separatists, sun sea, towes, tuberculosis, vancouver sun newspaper