Canada poised to ink nuke cooperation deal with IndiaMay 28th, 2009 - 1:01 pm ICT by ANI
Ottawa (Canada), May 28 (ANI): Canada is poised to sign a nuclear technology deal with India, the country’s International Trade Minister Stockwell Day said Wednesday.
The pact will open up the lucrative Indian market to Canadian nuclear exports for the first time in more than three decades.
“We’re very close to having an agreement with India related to the civilian use of nuclear energy for the purpose of helping them meet their energy needs,” the Globe and Mail quoted Day, as saying in an interview.
Shashishekhar M. Gavai, India’s High Commissioner to Canada, told a news agency that Canadian and Indian officials have already exchanged the draft agreement.
“An expert Canadian team was in Mumbai last week to work out, with the Atomic Energy Commission of India, final technical details and conditions under which business can be done,” he said.
Gavai could not be reached for comment Wednesday.
In January, Crown-owned Atomic Energy of Canada Ltd., signed a deal with Indian heavy engineering giant Larsen and Toubro to start costing out next-generation nuclear reactors - the prelude to a possible sale.
That deal hinged on the governments of Canada and India signing a nuclear co-operation agreement.
Day said that bilateral deal is imminent.
The international community lifted a three-decade ban on nuclear trade with India last September - even though India still refuses to sign the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty. (ANI)
- India, Canada close to signing civil nuclear deal - Jun 07, 2009
- India criticised for 'betraying' Canada on UN seat - Oct 15, 2010
- Canada to fast-track nuclear deal with India (Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- India, Canada to energise ties, fast-track nuclear deal - Sep 11, 2012
- Year of India in Canada begins - Mar 05, 2011
- Canada-India Innovation Summit at Ottawa - May 31, 2011
- Nuclear deal, trade top Canada PM's India mission - Nov 15, 2009
- Canada's n-industry sees deals worth billions with India - Jan 24, 2009
- Canada joins rush to sell nuclear fuel to India - Jan 23, 2009
- Indian companies discuss nuclear MoUs with Canada - Feb 26, 2011
- 'Pact with France soon for Jaitapur nuclear plants' - Jun 16, 2012
- Canada announces 10-year visas for Indians (Lead) - Jun 10, 2011
- Canada says nuclear deal with India soon - May 28, 2009
- India, Canada to fast-track nuclear deal - Sep 12, 2012
- Cheaper Indian goods in Canadian market after free trade deal - Nov 13, 2010
Tags: atomic energy commission, atomic energy of canada, canada ltd, draft agreement, globe and mail, governments of canada, heavy engineering, indian officials, larsen and toubro, more than three decades, non proliferation treaty, nuclear exports, nuclear non proliferation treaty, nuclear reactors, nuclear technology, nuclear trade, ottawa canada, stockwell day, technology deal, use of nuclear energy