Canada hails Asean charter as ‘a new chapter’December 16th, 2008 - 1:10 pm ICT by IANS
Toronto, Dec 16 (IANS) Continuing its “look east” policy, Canada has welcomed the signing of a charter by member-nations of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean) to usher in a European Union-style union by 2015.The charter was signed by the 10 member nations - Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam - in Jakarta Monday.
Canada has been a dialogue partner with Asean for more than three decades and its trade with the bloc exceeded $13 billion last year.
It is also estimated that Canada has $7.7 billion worth of foreign direct investment (FDI) in the region considered to be one of the fastest growing the world.
Welcoming the signing of the charter, Canadian foreign minister Lawrence Cannon said: “The Asean charter heralds a new chapter in the already close partnership between Asean and Canada.
“Its entry into force marks an important step toward establishing an Asean community comprising the Asean Security Community, the Asean Economic Community and the Asean Socio-Cultural Community.”
The minister said Canada congratulates Asean members and the organisation’s secretariat on “this significant achievement and look forward to deepening our ties with the region”.
The Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA) this year funded an Asean forum to fine-tune the terms of reference for the implementation of the charter’s human rights mechanism.
- India-educated Vietnamese may get ASEAN's top job - Aug 11, 2012
- ASEAN-India officials meet in Cambodia - May 27, 2012
- Indian envoy meets Indonesian parliamentary speaker - Jun 12, 2012
- Close ASEAN cooperation urged to promote growth (Lead) - Apr 03, 2012
- ASEAN economic ministers agree to deepen integration efforts - Sep 01, 2012
- 16th ASEAN summit ends - Apr 09, 2010
- India, Asean trade to reach $70 bn in 3 years - Feb 22, 2011
- India, Asean to ink economic pact by year-end: Anand Sharma - Mar 02, 2011
- US wants close ties with ASEAN - Jul 11, 2012
- India, Asean want to 'connect' in the physical, virtual world - Feb 13, 2012
- Russia to be regular at ASEAN summits - Oct 30, 2010
- Thailand seeks Indian investments - Jan 25, 2012
- Free trade with Asean to open up bigger prospects - May 15, 2011
- Indian president to visit Laos - Sep 06, 2010
- The sky is the limit for ASEAN-India cooperation (Comment) - Oct 27, 2010