Can vitamins and minerals prevent hearing loss?November 11th, 2008 - 4:55 pm ICT by IANS
London, Nov 11 (IANS) Millions of people worldwide, including soldiers and students, are suffering from noise-induced hearing loss. The rising trend is something that Michigan University (M-U) Kresge Hearing Research Institute is hoping to reverse, with a cocktail of vitamins and magnesium.
The nutrients were successful in lab tests, and now researchers are testing whether humans will benefit as well.
“The prevention of noise induced hearing loss is key,” said Glenn E. Green, assistant professor of otolaryngology at the M-U Health System and director of its Children’s Hearing Laboratory.
“When we can’t prevent noise-induced hearing loss through screening programmes and use of hearing protection, then we really need to come up with some way of protecting people who are still going to have noise exposure,” Green said.
The combination of vitamins A, C and E, plus magnesium, is given in pill form to patients who are participating in the research.
The medication, called AuraQuell, is designed to be taken before a person is exposed to loud noises. In earlier testing at U-M on guinea pigs, the combination of the four micronutrients blocked about 80 percent of the noise-induced hearing impairment.
Now, AuraQuell is being tested in military trials in Sweden and Spain, an industrial trial in Spain, and a trial involving students at the University of Florida who listen to music at high volumes on their iPods and other PDAs, said an M-U release.
- Vitamins-mineral cocktail may hold key to prevent noise induced hearing loss - Nov 11, 2008
- Soon, a pill to prevent noise-induced hearing loss - Feb 18, 2009
- Drug combo helps protect hearing - Feb 24, 2011
- Vitamin supplements can prevent hearing loss - Feb 18, 2009
- Potential drug treatment for noise-induced hearing loss - Jul 01, 2010
- Listening to an iPod for an hour can impair hearing - Jun 22, 2010
- Popular toys could damage hearing of children - Dec 19, 2011
- Listening to iPod at full volume can damage hearing - Jun 15, 2012
- Agra doctor gives new hope to the hearing impaired - Aug 24, 2012
- Music may damage hearing - Apr 22, 2010
- Men 'at almost 3-fold noise-induced hearing loss risk' - Oct 06, 2009
- Adolescents consuming less iron, vitamins - Aug 09, 2012
- Age-related hearing loss linked to low serum levels of folic acid - Dec 02, 2010
- Listening to MP3 can cause deafness - Jun 22, 2010
- Ear's stress-response system protects against hearing loss - May 04, 2010
Tags: hearing impairment, hearing research institute, kresge hearing research, kresge hearing research institute, loud noises, micronutrients, military trials, noise exposure, noise induced hearing loss, vitamins and minerals