Campaign to recycle chewing gum into car tyres, toys launched in UKAugust 19th, 2010 - 3:14 pm ICT by ANI
London, August 19 (ANI): A campaign that aims to recycle chewing gum into car tyres, toys and mobile phone covers has been launched in Hereford.
The campaign has been started to encourage people to put their gum in special “Gumdrop” bins, which have also been made from the sticky stuff.
Under the six-month trial, the bins are being placed in various locations in the town, including a bus station and railway station, as well as nightclubs.
The Gumdrop is the brainchild of Anna Bullus from West Sussex, who came up with the idea while at university.
The 25-year-old revealed that she is confident that chewing gum can be recycled, and wants the first new items to be more bins.
After that, she hopes products like mobile phone covers, toys, car tyres and Wellington boots will be made.
Bullus, from gumdropbin.com, also reassured people, who may have health concerns, that the gum would be sterilised.
“If you drink tap water, it’s recycled water. If you eat at a restaurant, you will eat with cutlery that has been used before, but it has been sterilized,” Sky News quoted Bullus as saying.
Bullus admitted her plans for recycling chewing gum will take time, and “tons” of gum will be needed in the long-term. (ANI)
- Now, chewing gum that can be washed off with water! - Jul 10, 2010
- Nano, bike on offer for sterilisation in Rajasthan - Nov 01, 2011
- Dubai to donate used laptops for charity - Nov 02, 2011
- Rajasthan men being duped into sterilisation: NGOs - Mar 10, 2011
- A streetcar named Nano - for Rajasthan's sterilisation drive - Aug 23, 2011
- Chewing Gum for Heartburn for 30 Minutes After Meals is Effective - Jan 14, 2011
- Caffeinated gum keeps Israeli pilots, commandos alert - May 18, 2012
- Chewing gum lowers calorie intake - Oct 28, 2009
- GM Making Chevy Volt, Parts Built Using Oil Spill Boom - Dec 21, 2010
- Now, non-stick chewing gum to keep streets clean - Oct 05, 2010
- The 'how to get your car ready for winter' checklist - Oct 25, 2010
- UK truckers caught drinking lager, texting on phones while driving - Jan 15, 2011
- Triple flavoured sticks of chewing gum in offing - Oct 08, 2010
- Willy Wonka-style chewing gum may soon be a reality - Oct 20, 2010
- Making waste management fun, Bangalore style (Feature) - Nov 04, 2011
Tags: august 19, brainchild, bus station, car tyres, chewing gum, cutlery, health concerns, hereford, mobile phone covers, nightclubs, railway station, recycled water, sky news, sticky stuff, sussex, toys, uk london, wellington boots, west sussex