Camel ciggies maker forced to pay $260K to smoker who developed cancerFebruary 13th, 2011 - 2:06 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb 13 (ANI): Camel cigarettes maker R.J. Reynolds has been forced to pay more than 260,000 dollars in damages to an elderly man who developed cancer from smoking.
Leroy Kirkland had sought damages of more than 10 billion dollars from the company, which is the largest award ever sought by an individual, but he settled for 260,000 dollars.
The 71-year-old, of Tampa, argued in a Florida court that smoking cigarettes had caused him cancer and emphysema, reports the Daily Mail.
The jury ordered the company to pay Kirkland 10,000 dollars in compensatory damages and 250,000 dollars in punitive damages.
Reynolds is the second-largest tobacco company in America, with a market share of 28 per cent.
It is a unit of Reynolds American Incorporated, of Winston-Salem in North Carolina, and produces a number of high-profile cigarette brands such as Camel and Pall Mall. (ANI)
- Camel No. 9 teen - Mar 16, 2010
- Advertisement for 'Camel No. 9' cigarettes appeals to teenage girls - Mar 16, 2010
- Dell to close North Carolina plant - Oct 08, 2009
- US tobacco firms win case against hospitals seeking compensation to treat sick smokers - May 01, 2011
- Beware, smoking damages your body within minutes - Jan 16, 2011
- Tobacco in candy form can lead to accidental poisoning in kids: Study - Apr 19, 2010
- Tobacco 'Mints' Related To Poisoning Of Children - Apr 20, 2010
- Colonial Bank is 6th largest failure in history - Aug 15, 2009
- China puts into place new smoking ban - May 02, 2011
- Tobacco firm underplayed dangers of smoking - Jan 09, 2012
- Protein involved in cystic fibrosis linked to chronic lung diseases - Dec 30, 2010
- Luxemburgo signs up to coach Gremio - Feb 22, 2012
- Tobacco companies may be using YouTube to market products - Aug 26, 2010
- 'Surgeon General' Voices That Just One Cigarette Can Harm The Body By Engendering Deadly Ailments - Dec 10, 2010
- Cigarette packs in Russia to carry warnings from Saturday - Jun 25, 2010
Tags: billion dollars, camel cigarettes, cancer, cigarette brands, cigarettes maker, compensatory damages, daily mail, elderly man, emphysema, florida court, kirkland, london feb, market share, north carolina, pall mall, punitive damages, r j reynolds, smoking cigarettes, tobacco company, winston salem